How to get C0 of a piezoelectric material.

In summary, the individual is seeking help in determining the value of the C0 capacitor for their piezoelectric material. They have asked others for assistance but have not been successful. They have shared a circuit and setup they have for measuring values, but are unsure how to obtain C0. They have also mentioned finding helpful resources for future use.
5carola5
I'm trying to get a value of the C0 capacitor of some piezoelectric material I'm working with right now. My only problem is: I don't get electronics at all ^^'.
So far I have asked some other people who do get it, but there were going way to fast and are really busy...So I was hoping you could maybe help me.

So far I'm having the circuit that is supposed to be the piezoelectric (I don't know what to do with it though, but I do know it out of my head by now) its like this (sorry for my bad drawing skills):

__L__R__C1__
| |
|_____C0_____|

Than I also already have some kind of setup to measure some values. Here is it:

[PLAIN]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2287/ciruittomeasurec0.jpg

But now my problem is. How do I get C0 from this? I really have no idea :blushing:

thanks in advance ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
These 2 app notes should help -
http://www.euroquartz.co.uk/Portals/0/pdf/tech-notes.pdf
http://www.eetasia.com/ARTICLES/2001SEP/2001SEP06_AMD_AN.PDF?SOURCES=DOWNLOAD

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks a lot:) I might be able to use them in the future, but for now we are going to a bit in an other direction...So I probably don't need to measure C0 any more ^^'

1. What is the process of obtaining C0 of a piezoelectric material?

The process of obtaining C0 of a piezoelectric material involves several steps. First, the material is prepared and placed in a suitable testing setup. Then, a known voltage is applied to the material and the resulting charge is measured. This process is repeated at different frequencies to obtain a graph of charge vs. voltage. Finally, C0 is calculated using the slope of this graph.

2. How is C0 different from other piezoelectric constants?

C0 is a specific piezoelectric constant that represents the capacitance of a material when no mechanical stress is applied. Other constants, such as d31 and g31, represent the relationship between mechanical stress and electrical charge or voltage.

3. What factors can affect the value of C0 for a piezoelectric material?

There are several factors that can affect the value of C0 for a piezoelectric material. These include temperature, humidity, and the composition and structure of the material. The manufacturing process and any external stresses on the material can also impact the value of C0.

4. Can C0 be measured for all types of piezoelectric materials?

While C0 can be measured for many types of piezoelectric materials, it may not be applicable to certain materials that exhibit non-linear behavior or have a low dielectric constant. In these cases, other piezoelectric constants may be used to characterize the material's properties.

5. How is the value of C0 used in practical applications?

The value of C0 is important in practical applications as it helps determine the efficiency and performance of a piezoelectric material. It is often used in the design and development of sensors, transducers, and other devices that utilize the piezoelectric effect. C0 can also be used to calculate other important parameters, such as the mechanical quality factor and the electromechanical coupling coefficient.