Exponential integral over removeable singularity gives wrong result

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to solve an integral involving exponential integrals. They have compared their analytical results with a numerical evaluation and found that while they match for some values, there are discrepancies for others. The person has tried to resolve this issue by splitting the integration and leaving out a problematic point near zero. However, they are still getting incorrect results and are wondering if there is a special consideration they need to take into account for the removeable singularity in the integral.
divB
Hi,

I am struggling for some time to solve the following integral:

$$
\int_{-n}^{N-n} \left( \frac{e^{-j\pi(\alpha-1)\tau}}{\tau} - \frac{e^{-j\pi(\alpha+1)\tau}}{\tau} \right) d\tau
$$

[itex]N[/itex] is a positive integer, [itex]n[/itex] is an integer, [itex]\alpha[/itex] can be a negative or positive rational number.

I want to express it analytically using exponential integrals [itex]E_1(z)[/itex]:

$$
\mathrm{E}_1(z) = \int_z^\infty \frac{e^{-t}}{t}\, dt,\qquad|{\rm Arg}(z)|<\pi
$$

In my opinion, the result should just be

$$
E_1(i\pi(\alpha-1)n) - E_1(-i\pi(\alpha-1)(N-n)) - E_1(-i\pi(\alpha+1)n) + E_1(-i\pi(\alpha+1)(N-n))
$$

I compare my analytical results against a numerical evaluation in MATLAB.
I calculate my analytical results by using [itex]E_1(z)[/itex] (expint in MATLAB) and the numerical version by creating a vector and using trapezoidal rule for integration.

Both match for approximately half of my values but the rest is different by absolute values of 1 or 0.5. Sometimes I even get NaN (undefined) values because [itex]\alpha[/itex] will be -1 and 1 at some point and [itex]n[/itex] will be zero at some point. Still, practically this makes no sense and should not happen (it does not happen with the numerical integration too and the result of the numerical integrations is exactly what I expect).

In order to match the results with my numerical integration, I split the integration and leave out the problematic point around zero ([itex]\epsilon\rightarrow 0[/itex]):

$$
E_1(i\pi(\alpha-1)n) - E_1(-i\pi(\alpha-1)\epsilon) + E_1(i\pi(\alpha-1)\epsilon) - E_1(-i\pi(\alpha-1)(N-n))
-E_1(-i\pi(\alpha+1)n)+E_1(-i\pi(\alpha+1)\epsilon)-E_1(i\pi(\alpha+1)\epsilon)+E_1(-i\pi(\alpha+1)(N-n))
$$

I would expect [itex]-E_1(-i\pi(\alpha-1)\epsilon) + E_1(i\pi(\alpha-1)\epsilon)[/itex] and [itex]E_1(-i\pi(\alpha+1)\epsilon)-E_1(i\pi(\alpha+1)\epsilon)[/itex] to be zero. If they would be, numerical and analytical results would match.However, depending on [itex]n[/itex], they are [itex]\pm i\pi[/itex] (which ultimately results in the wrong result).

Despite the fact the it is a removeable singularity, do I need to care about something special here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Didn’t get into details, but… you apparently forgot to say that “ j ” is the imaginary unit. If my guess is correct, then the expression under the integral certainly contains sinc function as a factor.

Hi Incnis,
Yes, j is the imaginary unit. And yes, it contains some sort of the sinc function. To be precise, I want to integrate parts of the sinc function (this is where my formula comes from in the first place).

I still have no idea why and where I get my mismatch from :( :(

divB

1. What is an exponential integral?

An exponential integral is a mathematical function that is used to express integrals of the form exp[-f(x)]dx, where f(x) is a real-valued function.

2. What is a removable singularity?

A removable singularity is a point in a function's domain where the function is undefined, but the function can be redefined at that point to make it continuous.

3. Why does taking the exponential integral over a removable singularity give a wrong result?

When taking the exponential integral over a removable singularity, the function is being redefined at that point, which can change the overall value of the integral. This can result in a wrong or incorrect result.

4. How can this issue be resolved?

This issue can be resolved by using a different method of integration, such as contour integration, which takes into account the singularity in the function's domain.

5. Are there any real-life applications of exponential integrals with removable singularities?

Yes, exponential integrals with removable singularities are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve complex problems involving exponential functions.