Derivation of a complex integral with real part

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of the integral C with respect to Y and the process of differentiating it. The integral involves functions dependent on the variable alpha and the real part of the expression in the brackets. The individual asks if their approach to differentiating the integral is correct and receives confirmation. They also learn that the derivative can be simplified and are reminded of the process for differentiating integrals with the variable of differentiation appearing in the limits and integrand.
shardur
Hey,

I tried to construct the derivation of the integral C with respect to Y:

$$ \frac{\partial C}{\partial Y} = ? $$
$$ C = \frac{2}{\pi} \int_0^{\infty} Re(d(\alpha) \frac{exp(-i \cdot ln(f))}{i \alpha}) d \alpha $$
with
$$d(\alpha) = exp(i \alpha (b + ln(Y)) - u) \cdot exp(v(\alpha) + z (\alpha))$$
where ##Re()## is the real part of whatever is written in the brackets, ##i## is the imaginary number and ##exp()## is the exponential function of whatever is written in the brackets. ##d(\alpha), v(\alpha), z(\alpha)## are functions depending on ##\alpha##. However, ##v(\alpha), z(\alpha)## are not dependent on ##Y##.
How do I differentiate this complex integral? As only ##d(\alpha)## depends on ##Y##, do I just need to differentiate ##d(\alpha)## with respect to ##Y## and plug the outcome of that into my integral? I think that would be what the Leibniz rule would suggest. So like:
$$ \frac{\partial C}{\partial Y} = \frac{2}{\pi} \int_0^{\infty} Re(\frac{\partial d(\alpha)}{\partial Y} \frac{exp(-i \cdot ln(f))}{i \alpha}) d \alpha$$
Would that be correct? Because then
$$\frac{\partial d(\alpha)}{\partial Y} = \frac{i \alpha}{Y} \cdot exp(i \alpha (b + ln(Y)) - u) \cdot exp(v(\alpha) + z (\alpha)) $$
Would that be the correct way to differentiate the integral or am I doing it completely wrong?

I hope I defined everything properly, if not just let me know.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
shardur said:
Hey,

I tried to construct the derivation of the integral C with respect to Y:

$$ \frac{\partial C}{\partial Y} = ? $$
$$ C = \frac{2}{\pi} \int_0^{\infty} Re(d(\alpha) \frac{exp(-i \cdot ln(f))}{i \alpha}) d \alpha $$
with
$$d(\alpha) = exp(i \alpha (b + ln(Y)) - u) \cdot exp(v(\alpha) + z (\alpha))$$
where ##Re()## is the real part of whatever is written in the brackets, ##i## is the imaginary number and ##exp()## is the exponential function of whatever is written in the brackets. ##d(\alpha), v(\alpha), z(\alpha)## are functions depending on ##\alpha##. However, ##v(\alpha), z(\alpha)## are not dependent on ##Y##.
How do I differentiate this complex integral? As only ##d(\alpha)## depends on ##Y##, do I just need to differentiate ##d(\alpha)## with respect to ##Y## and plug the outcome of that into my integral? I think that would be what the Leibniz rule would suggest. So like:
$$ \frac{\partial C}{\partial Y} = \frac{2}{\pi} \int_0^{\infty} Re(\frac{\partial d(\alpha)}{\partial Y} \frac{exp(-i \cdot ln(f))}{i \alpha}) d \alpha$$
Would that be correct? Because then
$$\frac{\partial d(\alpha)}{\partial Y} = \frac{i \alpha}{Y} \cdot exp(i \alpha (b + ln(Y)) - u) \cdot exp(v(\alpha) + z (\alpha)) $$
Would that be the correct way to differentiate the integral or am I doing it completely wrong?

I hope I defined everything properly, if not just let me know.

Thanks a lot for your help!
I think that would be correct if Y is real-valued. If it is not, then I am not sure that ##\frac d {dY} Re(g(Y)) = Re(\frac d {dY} g(Y))##.

tnich said:
I think that would be correct if Y is real-valued. If it is not, then I am not sure that ##\frac d {dY} Re(g(Y)) = Re(\frac d {dY} g(Y))##.
I seem to be wrong about that. It looks to me like it works for complex values of Y, also.

Y is real valued.
So my derivative should be correct like I did it?
And thanks for your help!

shardur said:
Y is real valued.
So my derivative should be correct like I did it?
And thanks for your help!
It looks right to me. You can simplify it a little if you realize that ##exp(i \alpha (b + ln(Y)) - u) = Y^{i \alpha}exp(i \alpha b - u)##

tnich said:
It looks right to me. You can simplify it a little if you realize that ##exp(i \alpha (b + ln(Y)) - u) = Y^{i \alpha}exp(i \alpha b - u)##
One other thing that is good to know about differentiating integrals is what to do if the variable of differentiation appears in the limits of the integral as well as in the integrand. If you have an integral that looks like this
$$F(y) = \int_{g(y)}^{h(y)}f(y,x)~dx$$
and you want to differentiate with respect to y, then you get
$$\frac {dF(y)} {dy} = f(y,h(y))\frac {dh(y)} {dy}-f(y,g(y))\frac {dg(y)} {dy}+\int_{g(y)}^{h(y)}\frac{df(y,x)}{dy}~dx$$
That is, you need to differentiate with respect to all of the occurrences of y in the integral.

1. What is the purpose of deriving a complex integral with real part?

The purpose of deriving a complex integral with real part is to manipulate and simplify the integral in order to solve it or use it in further calculations.

2. How do you derive a complex integral with real part?

To derive a complex integral with real part, you can use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or the Cauchy-Riemann equations. The specific method used will depend on the form of the integral.

3. What is the significance of the real part in a complex integral?

The real part of a complex integral represents the contribution of the real axis to the integral. It is important because it affects the overall value of the integral and can sometimes make the integral easier to evaluate.

4. Can a complex integral with real part have multiple solutions?

Yes, a complex integral with real part can have multiple solutions. This is because there are often different ways to manipulate and solve the integral, and some methods may result in different solutions.

5. How can I check if my derived complex integral with real part is correct?

The best way to check if your derived complex integral with real part is correct is to plug it back into the original integral and see if it yields the same result. You can also compare your solution to known solutions or use software to verify the integral.