Differentiating using a product rule

In summary, when differentiating e^(at) * (cos(bt) + isin(bt)), you can use the product rule to find the derivative considering (cos(bt) + sin(bt)) as one function because it is part of the overall product. The d/dt notation is an operator that is applied to a function to find its derivative, and it is used because there is an exponential function multiplied by a sum of two other functions, which is what the product rule is for. However, when differentiating just (cos(bt) + sin(bt)), you would use the sum rule and chain rule instead of the product rule.
sozener1
when differentiating

e^(at) * (cos(bt) + isin(bt))

are you able to use product rule to find the derivative considering (cos(bt) + sin(bt)) as one function??

why??

and what does d/dt exactly mean?? (they get multiplied to a function that needs to be differentiated and I wanted to solidify their definitions in my head so that I could manipulate them when encountered)

Physics news on Phys.org
sozener1 said:
when differentiating

are you able to use product rule to find the derivative considering (cos(bt) + sin(bt)) as one function??

Yes. But according to the product rule, you also have to take the derivative of (cos(bt) + isin(bt))
w.r.t. t at some point.

why??

Because you have an exponential function multiplied by another function, which itself is the sum of two other functions. It's what the product rule is for.

and what does d/dt exactly mean?? (they get multiplied to a function that needs to be differentiated and I wanted to solidify their definitions in my head so that I could manipulate them when encountered)

You are not 'multiplying' d/dt in the arithmetic sense when you express d(some function)/dt.

'd/dt' can be thought of as an operator, like f(x) means a function of x. d/dt notation means 'take the first derivative w.r.t. the variable t.'

sozener1 said:
when differentiating

No, you do not use the product rule to find the derivative of cos(bt)+ sin(bt) because there is NO product of two functions of t. You do need to use the "sum rule" and the "chain rule". You would need to use the product rule to differentiate the product e^(at)(cos(bt)+ isin(bt)).

why??

Any Calculus text will have a detailed explanation of "d/dt". Have you read the definition in a textbook first?

No, d/dt does NOT get "multiplied to a function". d/dt is the 'differentiation operator' and is "applied to a function". The definition, again found in any Calculus textbook, is
[tex]\frac{d}{dt} f(t)= \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(t+h)- f(t)}{h}[/tex].

A geometric way of looking at it is that [f(t+h)- f(h)]/h is the slope of the "secant line" to the graph of y= f(x) through (t, f(t)) and (t+ h, f(t+h)) and taking the limit as h goes to 0 gives the slope of the tangent line to the graph at (t, f(t)).

Likes 1 person

Related to Differentiating using a product rule

1. What is the product rule in differentiation?

The product rule is a mathematical formula used to find the derivative of a product of two functions. It states that the derivative of a product is equal to the first function multiplied by the derivative of the second function plus the second function multiplied by the derivative of the first function.

2. When should I use the product rule in differentiation?

The product rule should be used when differentiating a function that is a product of two or more functions. It is necessary because the standard rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, do not apply to products of functions.

3. How do I differentiate using the product rule?

To differentiate using the product rule, you must first identify the two functions that are being multiplied together. Then, using the formula, you take the derivative of each function and plug them into the appropriate places in the formula. Finally, simplify the equation to get the final derivative.

4. Can the product rule be extended to more than two functions?

Yes, the product rule can be extended to products of more than two functions. This is known as the generalized product rule and follows a similar formula of taking the derivative of each function and multiplying them together with the other functions.

5. Why is it important to understand and use the product rule in differentiation?

The product rule is an essential tool in calculus and allows us to find the derivative of more complex functions. It is also a fundamental concept that is used in many applications, such as optimization and related rates problems. Understanding and using the product rule can greatly expand our ability to solve problems in mathematics and other fields of science.