What was your co-op/internship pay?

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker received an official offer from IBM for a summer and fall co-op with a pay rate of $19.75 per hour, 40 hour work weeks, and time and a half for overtime. They also received $1250 for moving costs. The speaker mentions having 2 years left of college and being surprised by the generous offer. The conversation then shifts to discussing previous co-op/internship pay rates, with one person making $14.50/hr and another making $18/hr. The location is also mentioned, with one person being on the East Coast and the other possibly in California. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing excitement for their experience and the other person agreeing that pay doesn't matter as long as it
mr_coffee
I just got my official offer from IBM for the Summer and Fall Co-op and its $19.75 an hour, 40 hour weeks, and time in a half for anything over! They also tossed in $1250 for moving costs even if I don't need that much they just are hooking me up.

I still have 2 years left to graduate college as well. I didn't realize it was going to be that sweet.

What was your average co-op/internship pay?

Physics news on Phys.org
I made $14.50/hr working for Takata, which is an automotive safety firm. That's about par for the course for automotive companies in this area. I didn't get any overtime or moving compensation (but they were located in my area). However, I know co-ops working for DTE making around $18/hr, but it's grunt work and the experience they get isn't that great.

Are you in California? I'd imagine cost of living is higher there and pay rates are adjusted accordingly.

But congrats. That's great pay and I'm sure it will be a great experience. Right now I am working at Wayne State University's smart sensors and integrated microsystems lab as an REU. I went from making 14.50/hr to 8.50/hr, but the experience at the REU is more in-line with what I plan on doing, so I think it was a good choice.

I'm actually East Coast, going to Penn State (Pennsylvania) but they are relocating me to North Carolina in Research Triangle Park and the cost of living in RTP is less than it is in PA!

So its a pretty sweet deal and the weather is like summer all year round! I can't wait.

If its what you enjoy and what you want to be doing pay doesn't matter the experience is so I think you made a good choice as well!

1. What is the average pay for a co-op/internship?

The average pay for a co-op/internship can vary greatly depending on the industry, location, and company. Some internships may be unpaid, while others may offer a salary or hourly wage. According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers, the average hourly wage for internships in the United States is around $19 per hour.

2. How is co-op/internship pay determined?

Co-op/internship pay is typically determined by the employer based on factors such as the level of education, experience, and skills of the intern, as well as the responsibilities and demands of the position. Some companies may also have a set pay scale for interns based on their academic level or field of study.

3. Is co-op/internship pay negotiable?

In most cases, co-op/internship pay is not negotiable. This is because internships are meant to provide students with hands-on learning experiences and companies may have set budgets for their internship programs. However, if you have a specific reason for requesting a higher pay rate, such as extensive experience or a specialized skill set, you may be able to negotiate with the employer.

4. Will I receive any additional benefits or perks during my co-op/internship?

In addition to pay, some companies may offer additional benefits or perks to their interns. This could include things like transportation stipends, housing accommodations, meal allowances, or professional development opportunities. It's important to clarify with the employer what benefits, if any, are included in the internship package.

5. When will I receive my co-op/internship pay?

The timing of co-op/internship pay can vary depending on the company. Some may pay interns on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, while others may pay at the end of each month. It's important to clarify with the employer when you can expect to receive your pay and if there are any additional steps, such as submitting time sheets, that need to be taken in order to receive payment.