Absolute Value Integrals

In summary, the integral becomes:\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{1 - x ^ 2}} = \int \frac{\cos \theta d( \theta )}{\sqrt{\cos ^ 2 \theta}} = \int \frac{\cos \theta d( \theta )}{| \cos \theta |}
danago
Gold Member
Hi. For an integral like this, for example:

[tex]
\int {\sqrt {1 - \cos ^2 x} dx}
[/tex]

The most obvious way of solving would be to make use of the pythagorean identity, to get:

[tex]
\int {\sqrt {\sin ^2 x} dx}
[/tex]

Now, I've been taught to simply evaluate it like this:

[tex]
\int {\sqrt {\sin ^2 x} dx} = \int {\sin xdx = - \cos x + C}
[/tex]

I was wondering though, is that technically correct? Squaring something, then taking the square root of it is equivalent of taking the absolute value of it, so would this be more correct:

[tex]
\int {\sqrt {\sin ^2 x} dx} = \int {\left| {\sin x} \right|dx}
[/tex]

If so, would i just give two different solutions, each defined over a different domain, like a piecewise function?

[tex]
\int {\left| {\sin x} \right|dx = \left\{ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{ - \cos x + C} & {\sin x \ge 0} \\
{\cos x + C} & {\sin x < 0} \\
\end{array}} \right.}
[/tex]

Is that a more correct way of doing it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is absolutely correct. Who taught you to evaluate it in the other way?

By the incorrect logic, [tex]\frac{d}{dx} \cos x = -\sqrt{1-\cos^2 x}[/tex]. As we know, the derivative of cos x is not always negative.

Alright thanks a lot for confirming that :smile:

danago said:
Hi. For an integral like this, for example:

[tex]
\int {\sqrt {1 - \cos ^2 x} dx}
[/tex]

The most obvious way of solving would be to make use of the pythagorean identity, to get:

[tex]
\int {\sqrt {\sin ^2 x} dx}
[/tex]

Now, I've been taught to simply evaluate it like this:

[tex]
\int {\sqrt {\sin ^2 x} dx} = \int {\sin xdx = - \cos x + C}
[/tex]

I was wondering though, is that technically correct? Squaring something, then taking the square root of it is equivalent of taking the absolute value of it, so would this be more correct:

[tex]
\int {\sqrt {\sin ^2 x} dx} = \int {\left| {\sin x} \right|dx}
[/tex]

If so, would i just give two different solutions, each defined over a different domain, like a piecewise function?

[tex]
\int {\left| {\sin x} \right|dx = \left\{ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{ - \cos x + C} & {\sin x \ge 0} \\
{\cos x + C} & {\sin x < 0} \\
\end{array}} \right.}
[/tex]

Is that a more correct way of doing it?

Yes, what you do is correct. However, in some trig-sunstitution, because of the restriction we make on theta, we can automatically break the absolute value, without worrying about the sign.

Say, you are asked to evaluate:
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{1 - x ^ 2}}[/tex]
Now, we'll make the substitution: x = sin(theta), and we restrict theta to be on the interval [tex]\left[ - \frac{\pi}{2} ; \ \frac{\pi}{2} \right][/tex], i.e, the image of the arcsine function.

So, we'll have: [tex]x = \sin \theta \Rightarrow \theta = \arcsin x[/tex]
dx = cos(theta) d(theta)

The integral becomes:

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{1 - x ^ 2}} = \int \frac{\cos \theta d( \theta )}{\sqrt{1 - \sin ^ 2 \theta}} = \int \frac{\cos \theta d( \theta )}{\sqrt{\cos ^ 2 \theta}} = \int \frac{\cos \theta d( \theta )}{| \cos \theta |}[/tex]

Since, we have restricted theta to be only on the interval [-pi/2; pi/2], i.e, on the I, and IV quadrant, so cos theta is non-negative, and we can break the absolute value like normal:

[tex]... = \int \frac{\cos \theta d( \theta )}{\cos \theta} = \int d ( \theta ) = \theta + C = \arcsin x + C[/tex].

We can also make the trig substitution: x = cos theta, but this time, we must restrict theta to be on [0; 2pi], so that it'll be more convenient for you to find x in terms of theta, and to break the absolute value.

Last edited:

What is an absolute value integral?

An absolute value integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve, taking into account both positive and negative values. It involves finding the absolute value of a function and then integrating it over a given interval.

How is an absolute value integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral only considers the positive values of a function, while an absolute value integral takes into account both positive and negative values. This means that an absolute value integral can produce a larger area under the curve compared to a regular integral.

What is the purpose of using absolute value integrals?

Absolute value integrals are useful in situations where a function has both positive and negative values, such as in physics and engineering applications. They can also be used to find the total displacement or distance traveled by an object, as it takes into account both positive and negative changes in position.

How do you solve an absolute value integral?

To solve an absolute value integral, you first need to determine the intervals where the function is positive and negative. Then, you can split the integral into two separate integrals, one for the positive values and one for the negative values. After integrating each individual integral, you can combine them to get the final result.

What are some common applications of absolute value integrals?

Absolute value integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and economics, where functions with both positive and negative values are common. Some specific examples include finding the work done by a force, calculating the total charge of a system, and determining the total profit or loss in a business.