Object photographed by Mars rover

In summary, the object which the Opportunity rover photographed is an unusual shape and size, and may have come from Earth. There are many similar objects visible in the images, including what may be a lizard fossil. The rover's microscopic imager was able to detect organic imagery throughout the images.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums Easy!

From the other infomation available from the Opportunity rover website(s), can you tell us please what the Microsopic Imager was looking at at the time.

Wow ... What is this?

At first guess, I would say that it is something that came from earth? Or ... ...

That's an exceptionally regular and uniform shape, isn't it.

I, too, wonder exactly how big it is.

rovers imager stats.
Location End of Robotic Arm
Image size 1024 x 1024 pixels
Field of View 31 x 31 millimeters
(at optimal working distance of 63 millimeters from the front of the lens barrel to the target)
Depth of Field plus or minus 3 millimeters
Resolution 30 microns/pixel
(at optimal working distance)
Spectral Range 480-680 nanometers
Filters None

Is it possibly something that broke off from earlier attempts to put things on Mars?

In the part of the circle, there are smaller circles, .. They look like philips screw heads.

Yes they do look like screw heads. I presume it was just part of the rover that accidentally touched the surface and left a print.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/rover-images/apr-14-2004/captions/image-5.html

see any similarities?

I just assumed that was the grinder tools effect on the rock surface, with an unequal application of force; one sided contact. I have seen some other things in those images though, including something that looked like a lizard fossil. I see organic imagery all through the microscopic images from Opportunity. I have seen a number of things that look like tiny skeletal remains, or trilobites yesterdays images had what looked like a seashell edge. Let me find that.
Well I can't copy and paste into here, and I will have to find the images of interest. But last night, I was looking at a martian image, that looked like seashell edge, and barnacles everywhere. I know that all life is not like life here, but we are close neighbors.

Here is the image from yesterday, in the lower left quadrant is an edge of some ruffled item, that emerges from rock. There are other raised looking things in that area, with central openings, (barnacles).
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/2/m/099/2M135153004EFF2700P2959M2M1.JPG

Last edited:
http://marsrovers.nasa.gov/gallery/press/opportunity/20040329a.html is the title of the Opportunity PR for 29 March. "Opportunity observed the spot ['a bright patch of soil dubbed "Mont Blanc"'] with its Moessbauer and alpha particle X-ray spectrometers, also located on the arm."

You can see the same image here: just select Front Hazcam, sol61.

The image which Easy posted seems to show an object resting on/in the Martian sands; in fact, it's a depression in the "Mt Blanc" soil, made by http://athena.cornell.edu/the_mission/ins_moss.html, for your viewing pleasure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Object photographed by Mars rover

What is the object photographed by the Mars rover?

The object photographed by the Mars rover is a physical item or structure captured by the rover's cameras during its exploration of the Martian surface.

Where was the object photographed by the Mars rover?

The object was photographed on the surface of Mars, specifically in the location where the rover was operating at the time of the photo.

How does the Mars rover take photographs of objects?

The Mars rover is equipped with multiple cameras, including a high-resolution Mastcam and a navigation camera, that allow it to take photos in both color and black and white. These cameras are controlled by scientists and engineers on Earth.

What is the purpose of photographing objects on Mars?

The primary purpose of photographing objects on Mars is for scientific research and exploration. These photos help scientists understand the geology, atmosphere, and potential for life on Mars.

What have been some notable objects photographed by the Mars rover?

Some notable objects photographed by the Mars rover include ancient lake beds, evidence of past water flow, and rock formations that may contain clues about Mars' past habitability. The rover has also captured images of its own tracks and equipment, providing valuable insight into its own movements and capabilities on the Martian surface.