Manchurian Candidates: Fact or Fiction?

• Thread starter W3pcq
  • Start date
In summary: Aren't those just SO funny sometimes?In summary, my friend keeps ranting about how he thinks McCain is a manchurian candidate because he was captured by the commies for seven years. He says that at the time he was captured that communist brainwashing and mind control experiments were being done on POW's with a main goal of creating manchurian candidates. He says that they had him for seven years and that if it was possible to create a manchurian candidate that he would likely be one. I personally think that while brainwashing in mild forms is possible I remain skeptical about manchurian candidates. He says crazy stuff like "he probably has a computer in his implanted in his head.
W3pcq
My friend keeps ranting about how he thinks McCain is a manchurian candidate because he was captured by the commies for seven years. He says that at the time he was captured that communist brainwashing and mind control experiments were being done on POW's with a main goal of creating manchurian candidates. He says that they had him for seven years and that if it was possible to create a manchurian candidate that he would likely be one.

I personally think that while brainwashing in mild forms is possible I remain skeptical about manchurian candidates. He says crazy stuff like "he probably has a computer in his implanted in his head.

I did notice that he has a funny habit of repeating words and phrases in a weird way.

Wouldn't the military have a way to test returned POW's and determine if they have been "programmed" etc.

Could someone separate the Science Fiction here from the Science Fact?

Physics news on Phys.org
The book & the films were about the Korean War. McCain did not fight in that war.

The books and movies were inspired by the discovery of Soviet, Chinese, and korean methods of brainwashing which was used on POWs. The russians and the chinese were involved in Vietnam as well. The Vietnam war was after the Korean war which just means more time to advance techniques. The war was ultimately between communism and capitalism and was sponsored by China and Russia.

I wouldn't doubt for a second that POWs in vietnam as valuable as a 4 star generals son would be a great person to brainwash.

I still don't believe the whole manchurian candidate thing because I think that the level of control you would need on them is too great. Sure they could probably be successful in brainwashing to some extent, but to gain enough precise control for a manchurian candidate seems impossible.e

I thought "brainwashing" was really more of just morale degradation, not actual "control" or anything like that.

What's McCain going to do? Start a pointless war? Ruin the economy? Start spying on his own people? It doesn't take an ex-POW to do that.

Bush has already accomplished that for him, so he'd actually have to work to make it worse.

I think that the stage is already set for it to get worse even if he doesn't work at it, and the fact is that things can always get worse and we are near the top of the how good it gets ladder.

binzing said:
I thought "brainwashing" was really more of just morale degradation, not actual "control" or anything like that.

Don't you see the sponsors above?

W3pcq said:
Don't you see the sponsors above?

Aren't those just SO funny sometimes?

You mean the banner ads? Thats modern-day marketing! Unfortunately, AdBlock, doesn't get those ones.

1. Are Manchurian Candidates real?

There is no scientific evidence to support the existence of Manchurian Candidates. The concept originated in a work of fiction and has not been proven to be a real phenomenon.

2. What is a Manchurian Candidate?

A Manchurian Candidate is a person who has been brainwashed or programmed to carry out a specific task or mission without their conscious knowledge or control. This concept was popularized in the 1959 novel and subsequent films of the same name.

3. Can people be brainwashed to become Manchurian Candidates?

There is no scientific evidence to support the idea that people can be brainwashed to become Manchurian Candidates. While it is possible to influence and manipulate someone's thoughts and behaviors, complete control over an individual's actions is not possible.

4. How does brainwashing work?

Brainwashing, also known as thought reform or coercive persuasion, is a controversial concept that has not been scientifically proven. It involves the use of psychological techniques to change a person's beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors against their will.

5. Are there any real-life examples of Manchurian Candidates?

There are no documented cases of Manchurian Candidates in real life. The concept remains a fictional idea and has not been proven to occur in reality.