Question on UV and IR divergences

• Thread starter mhill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ir Uv
In summary, the conversation discusses the form of UV and IR divergences, which are typically represented as integrals of the form \int_{0}^{\infty} dk. k^{m}, where 'm' is an integer. The conversation also mentions the possibility of other types of divergent integrals, such as power-law or logarithmic divergences. There is also a question about the validity of i^{m+n}D^{m}\delta (w) D^{n}\delta (w)= Fourier. transform (\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dt.t^{n}(x-t)^{m}), which involves the Fourier transform of a convolution of two functions. The expert also notes
mhill
no matter what theory we use , are all UV and IR divergences of the form ??

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} dk. k^{m} [/tex] where 'm' is an integer

or there are another divergent integral different from a power-law or logarithmic divergence ?? , and another question , can be this true

[tex] i^{m+n}D^{m}\delta (w) D^{n}\delta (w)= Fourier. transform (\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dt.t^{n}(x-t)^{m}) [/tex]

where i have used the fact that the Fourier transform of a convolution of two functions (f*g) is just the product of the Fourier transform F(w)G(w)

Physics news on Phys.org
UV divergences are of that form, but it depends on the type of regulator you use. I'm not sure about IR divergences.

I don't know what you mean by [tex]D^m\delta(\omega)[/tex]. A derivative?

[tex]D^m \delta(\omega) D^n \delta(\omega) \approx \int\!dt\,t^m e^{i \omega t}\int\!dx\,x^n e^{i \omega x}= \int\!dt\,\int\!dx\, t^m x^n e^{i \omega (x+ t)} = \int\!dx \left[\int\!dt\, t^m (x-t)^n \right] e^{i \omega x}[/tex]
You will have to put in factors of i and pi and such.

I cannot provide a definitive answer to this question as it depends on the specific theory and calculations being used. However, I can provide some general information about UV and IR divergences.

UV (ultraviolet) and IR (infrared) divergences are mathematical artifacts that arise in quantum field theory calculations when dealing with infinite quantities. These divergences indicate that the theory being used is not complete and needs to be further refined.

In general, UV divergences are associated with high-energy or short-distance behavior, while IR divergences are associated with low-energy or long-distance behavior. These divergences can take various forms, including power-law or logarithmic divergences as mentioned in the question.

There can also be other types of divergences, such as those involving non-local operators or higher-dimensional integrals. The specific form of the divergence depends on the particular theory and calculation being performed.

Regarding the second question, it is possible for the given expression to be true, but again, it depends on the specific theory and calculation being used. The Fourier transform is a powerful mathematical tool that can be used to analyze and manipulate functions, but its applicability to a given problem depends on the assumptions and conditions being considered.

In summary, while there may be some general patterns in the form of UV and IR divergences, it is not accurate to say that all divergences follow a simple power-law or logarithmic form. The exact form of the divergence depends on the specific theory and calculation being used.

1. What are UV and IR divergences in physics?

UV (ultraviolet) and IR (infrared) divergences are phenomena in theoretical physics where certain calculations for physical processes result in infinite values. These divergences arise in quantum field theories and can occur when trying to calculate the interactions between particles at very high (UV) or very low (IR) energies.

2. How do UV and IR divergences affect our understanding of the universe?

UV and IR divergences have been a major challenge in theoretical physics, as they suggest that our current understanding of the universe is incomplete. They indicate that our current theories and calculations may break down at extremely high or low energies, which could have significant implications for our understanding of fundamental physical laws.

3. Can UV and IR divergences be solved or eliminated?

There is ongoing research and debate in the scientific community on how to deal with UV and IR divergences. Some approaches involve using mathematical techniques such as renormalization to remove the infinities, while others propose modifying existing theories or developing new ones to better account for these divergences.

4. What are some practical applications of understanding UV and IR divergences?

Although UV and IR divergences are primarily studied in the context of theoretical physics, they have practical applications in areas such as particle physics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics. Understanding and resolving these divergences can lead to more accurate predictions and better understanding of physical phenomena at extreme energies.

5. Is there a connection between UV and IR divergences and the search for a theory of everything?

UV and IR divergences are closely related to the search for a theory of everything, which aims to unify all fundamental forces and explain the fundamental laws of nature. These divergences suggest that our current theories, such as the Standard Model of particle physics, may not be complete and that a more comprehensive theory is needed to account for these infinities.