Man Arrested for Concealing Cocaine in Leg Cast

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, a man from Chile arrived at Barcelona's airport with a cast on his fractured left leg made of cocaine. Police quickly discovered the drug and arrested the man.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
MADRID, Spain (CNN) -- Spanish police arrested a man arriving at Barcelona's airport from Chile after determining that the cast on his fractured left leg was made of cocaine, the Interior Ministry said in a statement Friday.

...They quickly discovered cocaine hidden in his luggage, in a six-pack of beer and also in the aluminum legs of two stools he was transporting...
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/03/06/spain.leg.cast/

So he goes to the trouble of making a cast out of cocaine, but then puts some in his luggage? :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
Duh!

I wonder if the drug sniffing dogs just attacked his leg?

Ivan Seeking said:
So he goes to the trouble of making a cast out of cocaine, but then puts some in his luggage? :rofl:

The bigger issue is he broke his leg apparently so he could need a cast.

Well he has plenty of time to mend now.

I have a hard time believing that he would break his leg on purpose, but, perhaps... Obviously he's not the brightest bulb in the box. But the cast was a pretty clever idea. If he had stuck with that, he probably would have made it.

Using cast for smuggling is not a new idea, there was a TV movie built around the idea back in seventies in Poland. But it was on a slightly higher level - when man with the cast was on his trip out someone called airport security to tell them about smuggling. They removed the cast but found nothing. When he was on the trip back, they did everything to help him leave the plane and mount a taxi.

You guessed it - he was smuggling something in, not out :smile:

hypatia said:
I wonder if the drug sniffing dogs just attacked his leg?

Yeah but who's going to question a dog humping someones leg? LMAO

Borek said:
You guessed it - he was smuggling something in, not out :smile:
It's like the joke about the Polish worker and the Russian guard.
Every day he sees the Polish worker leaving the factory on a bicycle with a large suitcase.
The guard checks the suitcase everyday and it's always empty.
Many years latter - the guard meets the Pole, who is driving a Mercedes.
See I knew you were stealing something says the Russian - how did you hide anything in that case?
Simple says the Pole - "I was stealing bicycles!"

I think we have a discrimination case on our hands. In South America, there is more cocaine than plaster. How do they know he didn't just use the materials that were available to him to fashion a cast? I mean, what if he broke his leg out in the cocaine fields? What's he supposed to do? Drag himself to the doctor?

I think this man and his cast are a testament to South American ingenuity!

There's no doubt that the smuggler was plastered.

It's not uncommon to find packets of cocaine in stools.

Why the heck did he need a fractured leg to run the stuff?

Loren Booda said:
Why the heck did he need a fractured leg to run the stuff?
So that he would need a cast - doh :uhh:
(do you get the impression that there wasn't a criminal mastermind behind this?)

Last edited:
Next time he should jump off a roof first...then he can have a full body cast.

1. What is the background of this story?

The story is about a man who was arrested for concealing cocaine in his leg cast. The incident occurred at an airport security checkpoint, where the man was flagged for a secondary screening due to his suspicious behavior. During the screening, authorities discovered that the man had hidden packages of cocaine inside his leg cast.

2. How much cocaine did the man have in his leg cast?

The exact amount of cocaine found in the man's leg cast has not been disclosed. However, it was reported that there were several packages of cocaine, with a total weight of approximately 3 pounds.

3. How did the authorities discover the cocaine in the leg cast?

The man's suspicious behavior and the alertness of airport security officers led to the discovery of the cocaine. During a secondary screening, officers noticed bulges in the man's leg cast and decided to investigate further. Upon closer inspection, they found multiple packages containing cocaine hidden inside the cast.

4. What charges is the man facing?

The man is facing charges for drug possession, trafficking, and concealing drugs in a body part. These charges are considered serious offenses and can result in significant penalties, including imprisonment and fines.

5. What are the potential consequences for concealing drugs in a body part?

The consequences for concealing drugs in a body part vary depending on the laws of the country or state where the offense occurred. In most cases, it is considered a felony and can result in imprisonment, fines, and a permanent criminal record. The severity of the consequences also depends on the amount of drugs involved and the individual's prior criminal history.