Any good books on how to do research?

In summary, there are two books that I recommend for anyone looking for advice on researching as a professional scientist: "Advice to a Young Mathematician" by Steven Krantz and "Letters to a Young Mathematician" by Ian Stewart. Both books cover topics such as applying for grants, time management, and insights into the culture of industrial research, from a mathematician's perspective. These books can also be helpful for upcoming physicists, as the advice given is applicable to both fields.
DanielFaraday
I'm looking for a book that gives advice on how to research as a professional scientist. I am looking for insight into the culture of industrial research, applying for grants and obtaining funding, methods and techniques to use time your time effectively, etc. I'd prefer something from a physics standpoint.

Does anyone know of a good book that has some of these characteristics?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The only books that I know of that give this type of mentoring advice are:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/082183455X/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Steven Krantz
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465082319/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Ian Stewart

The first book goes through a lot of specifics from applying to graduate schools to early career decisions. I highly recommend it for those searching for a good discussion of what it means to become a career mathematician. The second book is more holistic, as it talks a little about what a mathematician does and things of this nature. Although they're geared for upcoming mathematicians, most if not all of the advice should apply to an upcoming physicist, especially the book by Krantz since most graduate programs in math and physics share a lot of similarities.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have found "The Craft of Research" by Wayne C. Booth, Gregory G. Colomb, and Joseph M. Williams to be an excellent resource for learning how to conduct research effectively. It covers topics such as finding and evaluating sources, developing research questions, and organizing and presenting research results. While it is not specifically focused on industrial research, the principles and techniques can be applied to any field.

For more specific information on the culture of industrial research and obtaining funding, I recommend "The Business of Science: Winning and Losing in the High-Tech Age" by Michael H. Best. This book delves into the dynamics of the science industry and offers insights on how to navigate the competitive landscape.

Additionally, "The Physics of Everyday Phenomena" by W. Thomas Griffith and Juliet W. Brosing provides a comprehensive overview of physics research methods and techniques, including time management strategies. It also includes real-world examples and case studies, making it a valuable resource for aspiring professional scientists.

I hope these recommendations are helpful in your search for a book on how to conduct research as a professional scientist. Best of luck in your endeavors!

1. What are the best books for beginners in research?

Some popular books for beginners in research include "A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations" by Kate L. Turabian, "The Craft of Research" by Wayne C. Booth, and "Research Methods: A Practical Guide for the Social Sciences" by W. Lawrence Neuman.

2. Are there any books specifically focused on scientific research?

Yes, there are many books that specifically focus on scientific research, such as "Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches" by John W. Creswell, "Designing and Conducting Mixed Methods Research" by John W. Creswell and Vicki L. Plano Clark, and "The Research Process: A Complete Guide and Reference for Writers" by Anthony W. Heath.

3. Are there any books that cover both qualitative and quantitative research methods?

Yes, there are a few books that cover both qualitative and quantitative research methods, including "Mixed Methods Research: A Guide to the Field" by Vicki L. Plano Clark and Nataliya V. Ivankova, "Triangulation in Social Research: Qualitative and Quantitative Methods Can Really Be Mixed" by David Byrne, and "Mixed Methods Research: Merging Theory with Practice" by Abbas Tashakkori and Charles Teddlie.

4. Can you recommend any books for advanced researchers?

For advanced researchers, some popular books include "Designing Social Inquiry: Scientific Inference in Qualitative Research" by Gary King, Robert O. Keohane, and Sidney Verba, "The SAGE Handbook of Qualitative Research" by Norman K. Denzin and Yvonna S. Lincoln, and "The Handbook of Research Synthesis and Meta-Analysis" by Harris Cooper, Larry V. Hedges, and Jeffrey C. Valentine.

5. Are there any books that cover the ethical considerations of research?

Yes, there are many books that cover ethical considerations in research, such as "Research Ethics: A Philosophical Guide to the Responsible Conduct of Research" by Gary Comstock, "Research Ethics in the Real World: Issues and Solutions for Health and Social Care Professionals" by Tony Long and Liz Day, and "Ethics in Qualitative Research" by Martyn Hammersley.