Best History of Physics Books?

In summary, some people recommend Fizz, John Gribbin's InSearch of Schrodinger's Cat and Scrodinger's Kittens, and Time for Science Education.
Geremia
After reading the introduction of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics, I found out about Whittaker's history of physics book http://libsysdigi.library.uiuc.edu/ilharvest/BrittleBooks_Open/Books2009-06/whited0001histhe/whited0001histhe.pdf" covers modern theories from 1900 to 1950. Is this the best, most comprehensive history of physics book out there? Do you have any other suggestions of classics? I know Duhem, e.g., wrote extensively about physics in the middle ages. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I came across a more lighthearted but actually fairly comprehensive history of physics - Fizz tells the history of physics in a novel about a young woman who time travels to meet Galileo, Newton, Einstein, Hawking and many others. (See http://www.fizz-book.com" ). I found this to be a fun way to learn about the history of physics and some of the fundamental concepts along the way... There are historical notes at the back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read John Gribbin's InSearch of Schrodinger's Cat and Scrodinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality

I really like Max Jammers "Concepts of..." books. There are four on mass, force, space, and simultaneity. All are really quite excellent, and not huge.

This may be not what you are looking for, but the my personal favorite history of physics is an academic book called "Time for Science Education" by Michael Matthews. In it, he argues the teaching of physics using the pendulum and in doing so tells a great story.

Something more "poppy" or mainstream that is nonetheless well researched is "Northern Lights" by Lucy Jago. This is a biography of Birkeland. It will for sure give you more respect for early EM research. Its also just so amazing as far as story...

1. What are the top recommended history of physics books?

Some of the most highly recommended history of physics books include "The History of Physics" by Isaac Asimov, "Einstein: His Life and Universe" by Walter Isaacson, "The Quantum World: The Making of a Modern Science" by John Polkinghorne, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, and "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene.

2. Are there any history of physics books specifically focused on a particular time period or physicist?

Yes, there are many history of physics books that focus on a specific time period or physicist. Some examples include "The Age of Einstein" by Frank W. K. Firk, which delves into the history of physics during the early 20th century, and "The Strangest Man: The Hidden Life of Paul Dirac" by Graham Farmelo, which explores the life and work of the influential physicist.

3. What makes a history of physics book considered one of the best?

A great history of physics book should provide a comprehensive and accurate account of the development of physics, while also being engaging and accessible to readers. It should also include new insights and perspectives on significant events and discoveries in the field.

4. Are there any history of physics books that focus on the contributions of women or underrepresented groups in the field?

Yes, there are several history of physics books that highlight the contributions of women and underrepresented groups in the field. Some examples include "Rise of the Rocket Girls" by Nathalia Holt, which explores the role of women in the early days of NASA, and "Hidden Figures" by Margot Lee Shetterly, which tells the story of the African-American women mathematicians who played a crucial role in the space race.

5. Can history of physics books be useful for non-scientists?

Absolutely! History of physics books can be enjoyed by anyone interested in learning about the origins and evolution of modern science. These books often provide insight into the societal and cultural factors that have influenced scientific progress, making them a fascinating read for non-scientists as well.