Using Ice Tables: When to Use X

• Thread starter merry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary, the use of an unknown (x) as the change in concentration of entities is necessary when it is impossible to solve for the concentration directly. However, if the limiting reagent is present in such low concentration that it can be ignored in mass balance, then simply subtracting its concentration from the initial concentration of the reactants is sufficient.
merry
When do you use an unknown (x) as the change in the concentration of the entities and when do you simply subtract the concentration of the limiting reagent from the initial concentration of the reactants? @.@
Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
merry said:
When do you use an unknown (x) as the change in the concentration of the entities and when do you simply subtract the concentration of the limiting reagent from the initial concentration of the reactants?

I hope I understand your question correctly, it would be easier if you will give an example.

If you treat something as a limiting reagent it means that for some reason you assume equilibrium in the reaction is shifted so far to the right, that concentration of the limiting reagent in the mixture is so low, it can be ignored in mass balance.

--
methods

FAQ: Using Ice Tables: When to Use X

What is an ice table and when should I use it?

An ice table is a tool used in chemistry to calculate the equilibrium concentrations of reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It is typically used for equilibrium calculations involving acids and bases or gases. You should use an ice table when you need to solve for unknown concentrations or determine the direction of a reaction at equilibrium.

How do I set up an ice table?

To set up an ice table, start by writing out the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Then, create a table with two columns labeled "Initial" and "Change". In the "Initial" column, write the initial concentrations or pressures of each species involved in the reaction. In the "Change" column, write the change in concentration or pressure for each species based on the stoichiometry of the reaction. Finally, use the "Initial" and "Change" values to calculate the equilibrium concentrations or pressures in the "Equilibrium" row of the table.

When do I need to use an ICE table instead of the quadratic formula?

An ice table should be used when the equilibrium constant (K) is relatively small (less than 10^-3) or when the reaction involves a weak acid or base. In these cases, the quadratic formula may not accurately calculate the equilibrium concentrations. Additionally, an ice table allows you to determine the direction of the reaction at equilibrium, which cannot be done with the quadratic formula.

Can I use an ice table for any type of reaction?

An ice table can be used for any reaction that reaches equilibrium, including acid-base and gas reactions. However, it is not necessary to use an ice table for reactions with a large equilibrium constant (K > 10^-3) or for reactions that have known equilibrium concentrations or pressures.

What are some common mistakes when using an ice table?

Some common mistakes when using an ice table include not properly labeling the "Initial" and "Change" columns, incorrectly setting up the table, and not considering the stoichiometry of the reaction when calculating the "Change" values. It is also important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the table. Additionally, it is important to double check your calculations and ensure that the final equilibrium concentrations or pressures make sense based on the direction of the reaction at equilibrium.

Back