Rayleigh Ritz with two Particles

Diagonalizing this matrix will give the eigenvalues and eigenvectors, which correspond to the energy levels and the wavefunctions of the system.
wduff
Hello everyone, I have what should be a simple one to answer.

I'm solving for 2 particles in a harmonic oscillator with a gaussian bump in the middle and a delta function interaction. I'm doing all this via Rayleigh Ritz; that is, diagonalizing the Hamiltonian to find the constants in:

[tex]\Psi = \sum_{ij} c_{ij} \psi_{ij}[/tex]

Where ##\Psi_{ij}## is just the standard symmetrized 2 boson wavefunction with ##\psi_{i}## and ##\psi_{j}## in a harmonic oscillator basis.

My issue is this: I end up with a rank 4 tensor: [tex]\langle \psi_{ij}|H|\psi_{kl}\rangle[/tex]

I'm sure this is just inexperience, but I have no idea how to get an eigensystem out of that (I'm using mathematica). I've already done it with one particle (minus the delta function of course), which was simple enough, since the calculations produced a n x n matrix which I know how to handle. But this is a new one for me.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
One needs to define a basis of two-particle states, which are themselves the tenor product of single-particle states.

In that two-particle basis, the Hamiltonian will be a 2x2 matrix.

1. What is the Rayleigh-Ritz method with two particles?

The Rayleigh-Ritz method with two particles is a mathematical approach used to approximate the behavior of a system with two interacting particles. It involves choosing a set of trial functions and using them to approximate the solution to the system's equations of motion.

2. How does the Rayleigh-Ritz method work?

The Rayleigh-Ritz method works by minimizing the energy functional of the system, which is a mathematical expression that describes the total energy of the system. This is done by varying the trial functions and solving for the values that minimize the energy functional.

3. What are the advantages of using the Rayleigh-Ritz method?

The Rayleigh-Ritz method offers several advantages, such as being able to handle complex systems with multiple interacting particles, providing approximate solutions that are often accurate enough for practical purposes, and being relatively easy to implement compared to other numerical methods.

4. What are the limitations of the Rayleigh-Ritz method?

The Rayleigh-Ritz method has some limitations, including the fact that it relies on the choice of trial functions, which can affect the accuracy of the solution. It also may not provide exact solutions, but rather approximations that may have some level of error.

5. In what fields is the Rayleigh-Ritz method commonly used?

The Rayleigh-Ritz method is commonly used in various fields of science and engineering, such as quantum mechanics, solid mechanics, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in solving problems related to vibration analysis, heat transfer, and structural mechanics.