Some questions about a VTOL UAV design

In summary, the individual is working on a VTOL UAV with upperclassmen and is concerned about the ability of the current design to lift off the ground and the required battery power for hovering at 10 feet for 20 minutes. The UAV has a weight of 15-20lbs, height of 10 inches, and diameter of approximately 18 inches. It is equipped with 4x 127mm ducted fans, each with a static thrust of up to 12lbs. The individual is also considering using thrust vectoring instead of traditional tilt-and-twist methods, but is concerned about the added weight and potential interference with terrain mapping sensors. After further research, they have determined that the airframe only needs to make minor adjustments
harralk
I'm working on a VTOL UAV with some upper classmen and I'm wondering if the design so far will be able to lift off the ground, and how much power (battery power that is) it'll need to hover at about 10 feet for 20 minutes. My concern is with ground effects and the amount of raw power needed to get the thing to lift off.

Weight: 15-20lbs
Height: 10 inches
Diameter: ~18 inches
Propulsion: 4x 127mm ducted fans, each rated at up to 12lbs static thrust (presumably at sea level)

Also, if it's not too much to ask, I'm curious about using thrust vectoring to steer/propel the UAV instead of the old-fashioned tilt-and-twist method

Thanks

Attachments

• larva uav1.jpg
    larva uav1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 466
  • larva uav3.jpg
    larva uav3.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org
Its almost impossible to predetermine in ground effects. This is where trial and error comes into play. Just looking at the numbers i'd say you're ok but no way to tell until you test.
Also thrust vectoring a quadrotor is doable but now you're adding unnecessary weight for additional actuation mechanisms. How do you plan to implement it, and why would you want to vector it?

I had the same feeling about the extra weight of vectored thrust, why I first thought about removing it. Initially it was seen as a necessity because the terrain mapping sensors onboard need to be kept stable while they process visual data. After looking into it I found out the airframe only needs to pitch/roll a few tenths of a degree to maneuver around which won't interfere with the sensors.

1. What is a VTOL UAV design?

A VTOL UAV (Vertical Take-Off and Landing Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) design refers to the process of creating and developing a drone or aircraft that is capable of taking off and landing vertically, without the need for a runway or launch equipment. This type of design allows for greater flexibility and maneuverability in flight.

2. What are the benefits of a VTOL UAV design?

A VTOL UAV design offers several benefits, including increased versatility and agility in flight, the ability to access hard-to-reach areas, and reduced infrastructure and logistical requirements. This type of design is also useful for military and surveillance purposes, as it can hover and take off from a stationary position.

3. What are the key components of a VTOL UAV design?

The key components of a VTOL UAV design include a propulsion system, flight control system, and a vertical lift system. The propulsion system provides thrust to move the UAV forward, while the flight control system manages the aircraft's stability and direction. The vertical lift system is responsible for the aircraft's ability to take off and land vertically.

4. What are the challenges in designing a VTOL UAV?

Designing a VTOL UAV can be challenging, as it requires a balance between weight, power, and aerodynamics. The vertical lift system must be powerful enough to lift the aircraft, but also lightweight and compact to minimize the overall weight of the UAV. Additionally, the flight control system must be able to handle the complexities of hovering and vertical take-off and landing.

5. How is a VTOL UAV design different from a traditional fixed-wing drone?

A VTOL UAV design differs from a traditional fixed-wing drone in several ways. Firstly, a fixed-wing drone requires a runway or launch equipment for take-off and landing, while a VTOL UAV can take off and land vertically. Additionally, a fixed-wing drone is limited in its maneuverability compared to a VTOL UAV, which can hover and change direction quickly. Finally, a VTOL UAV design typically has a more complex and sophisticated flight control system to manage the unique flight capabilities of the aircraft.