Strange question with 2 charges, and net electric field between them = 0

In summary, at the point where the net electric field is zero, the charges are 16 and 4.0 mC, respectively. The force on a charge of +14 mC placed at this spot would be 16*4.0-14 = -4.0 mC.
michaelw
Two charges, –16 and +4.0 mC, are fixed in place and separated by 3.0 m. (a) At what spot along a line through the charges is the net electric field zero? Locate this spot relative to the positive charge. (b) What would be the force on a charge of +14 mC placed at this spot?

I am totally flabbergasted by this question
Our prof doesn't really give many formulas, or any at all, as we generally have to figure out what to use and when

But in this case, what formula would you use to even get started?

Physics news on Phys.org
For A, what is the equation for and electric field E due to a point charge q at a distance r from the charge? What is the direction of the field?

That's all you need, plus some algebra.

For B, no formula at all, just some thought.

the E set up by a point charge q at a distance of r is
[tex] \vec{E} = \frac{kq}{r^2} [/tex]

the [itex] \vec{E} [/itex] points away from q if q is positive, and towards q if q is negative

wow I am confused
and this is simple too..

charge 1 points to the 'left' (assume left is where the -16mC charge is)
charge 2 points to right

so you set
E1 = E2

but how do you isolate r^2 now? you end up with
value/r^2 = value/r^2..

if you multiply both sides by r^2, they cancel.. clearly I am missing something elementary

vaxopy said:
wow I am confused
and this is simple too..

charge 1 points to the 'left' (assume left is where the -16mC charge is)
charge 2 points to right
what do you mean charge 1 points to the left? The electric field set up by a negative point charge points toward the charge, but this is relative to where your evaluating the electric field from. Conversely, the electric field set up by a positive point charge points radially away from the charge

so you set
E1 = E2

but how do you isolate r^2 now? you end up with
value/r^2 = value/r^2..

if you multiply both sides by r^2, they cancel.. clearly I am missing something elementary
First try to figure out where the the point must be located relative to the two point charges.

-------------(-16mC)---------------(+4mC)---------------->x
[tex] .\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ a \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ . \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ b \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ c [/tex]

as you see the digram sets up three intervals as to where the point might be where the E = 0.

edit: the letters above just indicate the three separate intervals, and do not represent length

Last edited:
MathStudent said:
what do you mean charge 1 points to the left? The electric field set up by a negative point charge points toward the charge, but this is relative to where your evaluating the electric field from. Conversely, the electric set up by a positive point charge points raidally away from the charge

First try to figure out where the the point must be located relative to the two point charges.

--------------(-16mC)---------------(+4mC)------------------>x
[tex] .\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ 1 \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ 2 \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ 3 [/tex]

as you see the digram sets up three intervals as to where the point might be where the E = 0.
heres what i did..
(8.99*10^9)(4*10^-6)/m^2 = (8.99*10^9)(16*10^-6)/(m+3)^2
m is the distance between 4uC and x

i then got
((3+m)^2)/(m^2) = 4*10^-6

am i on the right track? how can i solve for m now? (i don't have a graphing calculator)

michaelw said:
heres what i did..
(8.99*10^9)(4*10^-6)/m^2 = (8.99*10^9)(16*10^-6)/(m+3)^2
m is the distance between 4uC and x
Equation looks good!
I just want to mention something about the charges though. Just so you know mC represents millicoulombs (10^-3 C), and [itex] \mu C[/itex] represents microcoulombs (10^-6 C). Did the question give the charges in mC or [itex] \mu C[/itex]? If its supposed to be millicoulombs, then your charges are wrong.

i then got
((3+m)^2)/(m^2) = 4*10^-6

am i on the right track? how can i solve for m now? (i don't have a graphing calculator)
LHS looks good, but what is (16*10^-6 / 4*10^-6), its not 4*10^-6.

You don't need a graphing calculator to solve this, just a little algebra.

Last edited:

1. What is meant by "strange question with 2 charges"?

This refers to a situation where there are two charges present, but the net electric field between them is equal to zero. This may seem counterintuitive because charges typically create electric fields, but there are certain configurations where the net field can cancel out.

2. How can the net electric field between two charges be equal to zero?

This can happen when the two charges have equal magnitudes but opposite signs and are placed at specific distances from each other. This creates a symmetric distribution of charges that results in the net field being zero in the space between them.

3. What is the significance of a net electric field of zero between two charges?

A net electric field of zero between two charges means that there is no force acting on a test charge placed in that region. This can have important implications in understanding the behavior of electric fields and the interactions between charges.

4. Are there any real-world examples of a net electric field of zero between two charges?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of this phenomenon. One example is a parallel plate capacitor, where the electric field between the plates is zero. Another example is between two atoms with equal and opposite charges, where the net field between them is zero.

5. How does the distance between the two charges affect the net electric field?

As the distance between the charges changes, the net electric field between them also changes. If the distance is increased, the net field decreases, and if the distance is decreased, the net field increases. This relationship is described by Coulomb's law, which states that the magnitude of the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges.