Energy Transfer: Which Line Transfers Energy Faster?

In summary, the thicker fishing line will transfer energy more easily and detect fish strikes faster due to its larger cross-sectional area and lower resistance. However, for a linear and non-dispersive medium, the difference in signal propagation speed between the two lines is insignificant and the smaller line may actually detect strikes faster due to its lower linear density. Ultimately, the effectiveness of the two lines in detecting fish strikes may depend on the specific conditions and variables at play.
brocksflyfish
I have two fishing lines that are of the same material but one has a larger cross sectional area than the other, which one will transfer energy faster? I am not a physics person so a simple amswer would be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Transfer energy to/from what?

From one end of the line to the other end

The thicker line will transfer energy from one end to the other more easily. If you're transferring energy via heat, the thicker wire will transfer more energy due to the larger cross-section. If you're sending electrical current through the line, the thicker wire will have less resistance.

Hope that helps.

I believe it does. That means with the larger fishing line I would detect the fishes strike faster than with the smaller line.

brocksflyfish said:
I believe it does. That means with the larger fishing line I would detect the fishes strike faster than with the smaller line.

Actually, I misinterpreted your question. The larger wire will be able to transfer energy easier, but I believe you're looking for which line will transfer the signal of the fish's strike faster. This is a bit more complicated, but I believe you'd also detect the fish's strike faster with a thicker line, because the thicker line would elongate less when it's pulled.

That is what I was looking for and thank you for your help.

For the same tension in the line, the speed of sound is higher in the cord with lowest linear density. Assuming the same material, the thin line will transmit a mechanical excitation faster. (If the fish applies the same tension...).

nasu said:
For the same tension in the line, the speed of sound is higher in the cord with lowest linear density. Assuming the same material, the thin line will transmit a mechanical excitation faster. (If the fish applies the same tension...).

While this is true, when would you actually feel the fish pulling on the rod? Probably not when the first signal reaches the end of the line, but later, after the line pulls with enough force for you to feel it.

Nessdude14 said:
While this is true, when would you actually feel the fish pulling on the rod? Probably not when the first signal reaches the end of the line, but later, after the line pulls with enough force for you to feel it.

This is quite irrelevant. The sensitivity threshold of the "detector" is the same in both cases.
Whatever force is applied by the fish, it "reaches" the other end slower on the thick cord.
The peak of the force pulse take the same time to travel as the minimum or any other value.
If, for example, the force at the "fish end" increases continuously, from zero to a maximum value (let say 1000 N), the "hand end" will experience the same thing, with some delay given by the travel time along the cord. The delay between the 1N values at the two ends (application and reception) is the same as the delay between the 500N values and so on.
This is of course true for a linear and non dispersive medium approximation.

The difference between the two cords is the maximum force that can be transmitted before the cord breaks.

You're assuming the fish can apply the same force in an equal amount of time on both strings. However, if you consider the elasticity of the strings, the fish would need to swim further and stretch the small string more before the "sensitivity threshold" is met, compared to a larger string. Compared to this delay, the delay due to the signal propagation speed is insignificant.

First off let me thank you for your input it is much appreciated. I am a fly fisherman and what I am trying to do is to determine which diameter of line would detect strikes from the fish faster, the smaller or larger. The faster I notice the strike, the more fish I have the opportunity to hook. Given that everything is equal, except the diameters of the lines, I am hearing that the smaller diameter would detect strikes faster. Thanks again

Nessdude14 said:
You're assuming the fish can apply the same force in an equal amount of time on both strings. However, if you consider the elasticity of the strings, the fish would need to swim further and stretch the small string more before the "sensitivity threshold" is met, compared to a larger string. Compared to this delay, the delay due to the signal propagation speed is insignificant.

The problem is not formulated in a very specific manner. The question was about the energy transfer from one end to the other.
I was thinking about a cord already under tension and applying a very short impulse at the fish end.

Your model is different, I understand. You assume the tension increasing slowly in the string, fish swims away, right?. The distance traveled by the fish until some threshold force is reached will be shorter for the thick cord. The calculations show that the time will be shorter too. I don't know what is the minimum tension that the fisherman can feel. But the time to reach maximum tension can be estimated for typical parameters. It is much longer than the transmission through line, you are right.

1. How is energy transferred through a line?

Energy can be transferred through a line in two ways: conduction and radiation. In conduction, energy is transferred through direct contact between particles. In radiation, energy is transferred through electromagnetic waves.

2. Which line transfers energy faster?

The speed of energy transfer depends on the material and properties of the line. Some factors that can affect the speed of energy transfer include the temperature, density, and conductivity of the material. Generally, materials with higher conductivity transfer energy faster than those with lower conductivity.

3. Can energy be lost during the transfer process?

Yes, energy can be lost during the transfer process. This is known as energy dissipation and can occur due to factors such as friction, resistance, and inefficiencies in the transfer process.

4. How does the length of the line affect energy transfer?

The length of the line can affect energy transfer in two ways. Firstly, the longer the line, the greater the distance the energy has to travel, which can result in some energy loss. Secondly, if the line is too short, the transfer may not be efficient as the energy may not have enough time to fully transfer before reaching the end of the line.

5. What are some real-life examples of energy transfer through a line?

There are many real-life examples of energy transfer through a line, such as the transfer of electricity through power lines, the transfer of heat through pipes in a heating system, and the transfer of sound waves through telephone lines. Another example is the transfer of data through fiber optic cables, where light energy is used to transmit information.