Tablet PCs good, bad, or ugly?

• Thread starter amb123
  • Start date
In summary, a student is considering getting a tablet for note-taking in their upcoming chemical engineering program. They are unsure whether to get a tablet or a convertible, but they do not want to spend too much money. They have heard mixed reviews about using tablets for note-taking, with some saying it is not effective while others have had satisfactory experiences. Ultimately, they are looking for recommendations on which tablet would work best and what features are essential. Some previous users have mentioned that the pen can be unresponsive and the bottom plate of the tablet can get hot. Some specific models mentioned include the Acer Tablet and the Sony X505, which is very lightweight but also expensive.
amb123
I am going to be transferring as a junior to a Chem Engineering program this Fall (probably GA Tech, but I'm still waiting to hear from a couple others.)

So, first I was considering a notebook, but it looks like a tablet may be a better idea just for the fact that you can take handwritten notes/drawings in class. So, then the dilemma became tablet or convertible.. But, seeing as I will have access to desktops in the library and at home, I may not need a convertible, but just a tablet with a portable keyboard.

So, what are your experiences with tablets? I know there are a lot of students and engineers on here, so i'd love to hear from you on whether this seems like a reasonable buy or not. And, of course, recommendations on which would work the best, what features you can't live without, etc, would be great!

Thanks so much:)
-A

Physics news on Phys.org
I have one, but I only use it for games and music though.

I love it.

For your purpose, only a crackhead uses that thing for notes. Personally, that would be really stupid.

Note: You're suppose to tell your mom its for notes. I guess I can use it for graphs, and stuff, but if you got a laptop just use Mathematica (Maple sucks).

I have no personal experience with them, but a friend of mine had one. He tried using it for note taking, and retired it from that purpose after a week.

Wow, if I can't take notes on it, it's useless to me and I might as well get a notebook. Are you sure this isn't with old models, as I understand it these have gotten much better in recent years. Do you know why this person didn't like them for notetaking?

I am buying this with my own money, btw, so don't have to hide my intentions from mommy;)

thx!
-A

I have a new one!

Yes, it does suck for notes. I got the Windows CE or whatever on it. I can read PDF files, go online, etc...

I tried doing notes, but gave up after 2 minutes.

Only musics and games.

amb123 said:
Wow, if I can't take notes on it, it's useless to me and I might as well get a notebook. Are you sure this isn't with old models, as I understand it these have gotten much better in recent years. Do you know why this person didn't like them for notetaking?

I am buying this with my own money, btw, so don't have to hide my intentions from mommy;)

thx!
-A

It was a few years ago, so I don't know if they've improved since then. Honestly, I know at the time I got an earful about why he didn't like it, but I can't remember any more (I probably wasn't listening too carefully; he always has a new gadget or toy...he likes his gadgets and I like giving him a hard time about his obsession with gadgets :rolleyes:). Maybe it was that he hoped it would automatically transcribe his handwriting into typed text with a bit of training, but his handwriting is so atrocious it couldn't figure it out?

I still prefer pen and paper for note-taking, but that's because my notes aren't always "linear" (I connect concepts and thoughts with arrows or go back and jot related notes in the margin, like if someone asks a question and I think the answer is relevant, I write it next to the section that's relevant, not just in the next empty space on the page), and I don't always take notes with complete words (I have my own short-cuts of symbols that don't always mean anything to anyone but me). Then again, the last time I was taking notes, such gadgets didn't exist. :biggrin:

I've used an Acer Tablet in the past and my experience has been satisfactory. It's very light at 3 pounds, it's much easier to use when one is traveling since your fingers are not confined together in one space as when you're using a mousepad. You navigate and scroll through the stylus pen. I thought the pen was a little too small and thin, using this continously for hours while taking notes can be a drag. The pen can be unresponsive at times as well. And if you get tired of the tablet, you can always fold and flip the screen and use it as a regular laptop. As with the model I used. The bottom plate can get really hot as well like laptops so be careful.

The_Professional said:
I've used an Acer Tablet in the past and my experience has been satisfactory. It's very light at 3 pounds, it's much easier to use when one is traveling since your fingers are not confined together in one space as when you're using a mousepad. You navigate and scroll through the stylus pen. I thought the pen was a little too small and thin, using this continously for hours while taking notes can be a drag. The pen can be unresponsive at times as well. And if you get tired of the tablet, you can always fold and flip the screen and use it as a regular laptop. As with the model I used. The bottom plate can get really hot as well like laptops so be careful.

3 pounds is kind of heavy don't you think.

Mine probably ways less than 1 pound.

JasonRox said:
3 pounds is kind of heavy don't you think.

Mine probably ways less than 1 pound.

Are you sure? what laptop is it? The norm for notebooks is 4+ pounds, Sony has a 3 lb notebook but 3 pounders aren't very common.
Additionally, going any lighter than 3 pounds cost a lot of money. Sony has a one pound carbon fiber laptop the X505 which costs $2799+

The_Professional said:
Are you sure? what laptop is it? The norm for notebooks is 4+ pounds, Sony has a 3 lb notebook but 3 pounders aren't very common.
Additionally, going any lighter than 3 pounds cost a lot of money. Sony has a one pound carbon fiber laptop the X505 which costs $2799+

OH NEVERMIND.

I was thinking of something else.

I take everything back that I said. My advice is terrible.

I apologize for the confusion.

Well, as far as I have read, you can take notes and store them without translating to text, which would be fine by me since I draw all over the place anyhow. This would keep me more organized. I am going to look at them on Saturday if I can find stores that carry the latest and greatest in my area. I think the weight is around 3-4lbs depending whether you want a tablet or tablet convertible to laptop. I might not need the convertible, I am thinking just the tablet will be more convenient and i'll get a portable keyboard that isn't too heavy for it.

So, i'll let you all know what I find. Any others who have experience with the newer models (not 2+yrs old), pls post.

thx!
-A

1. Are tablet PCs better than traditional laptops for productivity?

It depends on the user's needs and preferences. Tablet PCs are more portable and offer touch screen capabilities, making them convenient for on-the-go use and certain tasks such as note-taking and drawing. However, traditional laptops typically have more powerful processors and larger storage capacities, making them better for heavy-duty tasks such as video editing or gaming.

2. Are tablet PCs worth the higher price compared to traditional laptops?

Again, it depends on the user's needs and budget. Tablet PCs often have a higher price tag due to their portability and touch screen features. If these features are important for the user, then the higher price may be worth it. However, if the user primarily needs a device for basic tasks such as web browsing and word processing, a traditional laptop may be a more cost-effective option.

3. Do tablet PCs have the same processing power as traditional laptops?

No, tablet PCs typically have less processing power compared to traditional laptops. This is because they are designed to be lightweight and portable, sacrificing some power for convenience. However, some high-end tablet PCs may have comparable processing power to traditional laptops.

4. Are tablet PCs good for gaming?

It depends on the user's gaming needs. Tablet PCs are not typically designed for heavy gaming, but they can handle casual or mobile games. Some high-end tablet PCs may have better graphics capabilities and can handle more demanding games, but they may still not be as powerful as traditional gaming laptops.

5. Can tablet PCs replace traditional laptops completely?

Again, it depends on the user's needs and preferences. For some users, a tablet PC may be able to fulfill all of their computing needs, especially if they primarily use their device for basic tasks and do not require heavy processing power. However, for users who need a device for more complex tasks or heavy-duty computing, a traditional laptop may still be necessary.