What to Wear for a Hot Weather Interview?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interview
In summary, Monique is preparing for an important interview by selecting a dress that is appropriate for both the professional setting and the weather. The dress is blue and will not distract from the proceedings. The leggings or pantyhose should be black to match the outfit. Shoes should be comfortable and appropriate for the interview.

Which outfit should I choose?

• The dress

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • The pants with fitted top

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Find something else to wear

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This Wednesday I have an important interview in front of 15 scientists, who will decide whether I get funding or not. Now, the prediction is that coming Wednesday will go into history as the hottest local day ever. The temperatures will be at least 30oC/90oF, but may rise considerably towards 38oC/100oF. I have to change my planned outfit to something I'll survive in, but wonder whether it is appropriate?

First outfit: a dress with long transparent sleeves, but the length is on the short side for a formal interview? The body has a pleaded detail that's not apparent in the picture.

The second: black stretch pants with a fitting top, but is it appropriate to go to an interview sleeveless? I could throw on a jacket at the moment of interview, but that might look strange with the hot weather.

What do wear?

Attachments

• outfit1.jpg
    outfit1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 565
  • outfit2.jpg
    outfit2.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 570
  • outfit2b.jpg
    outfit2b.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 538
Physics news on Phys.org
I would go with the dress and the black hose. Just a single male's perspective, but there is no reason to look austere in front of a funding committee. Go with something more approachable.

Monique said:
What do wear?

The dress looks very good on you. It fits well and is flattering; nothing about it is inappropriate. In this particular case, I'd also ensure that you wear something that YOU feel is flattering. If you're going to be in a situation that is important to you, looking good can lead to feeling confident.

Choose the dress and feel good about it.

The dress!

Interestingly, so far only males answered.

I would add that a dress and hose can be much more comfortable in hot weather, and you might want more comfort to keep your composure in front of a funding committee. Just a suggestion. I certainly wouldn't want to wear a 3-piece suit to an important meeting in hot weather, though that was the norm 50 years ago. What a sad time.

turbo said:
I would add that a dress and hose can be much more comfortable in hot weather [...]

...how do you know this...

The dress is beautiful, you look great. The problem is that I don't know what is considered acceptable there. Here, in a professional (not academic) position, the dress would be too short for a formal meeting. My only background is professional at a huge corporation that had a rather strict dress code. That doesn't mean it's not acceptable there. Do you have any way of finding out what other women have worn in such circumstances?

Question, will you be seated, or standing behind something so that during the process your legs won't be seen?

Obviously, if the panel were made of the men here, you wouldn't even have to talk to get the grant. :tongue:

Last edited:
Evo said:
The dress is beautiful, you look great. The problem is that I don't know what is considered acceptable there. Here, in a professional (not academic) position, the dress would be too short for a formal meeting. My only background is professional at a huge corporation that had a rather strict dress code. That doesn't mean it's not acceptable there. Do you have any way of finding out what other women have worn in such circumstances?

I don't want to be a contrarian, but I think the dress would meet even a fairly conservative dress code. I think the dividing line is the color of the leggings (or pantyhose). There's no attempt to create the illusion of bare skin.

That being said, Monique, if you start to feel self-conscious because of the embattled position on the forums here, I'd make the general recommendation not to wear anything that inspires you to check your surroundings constantly. I've always found that to be my limit... if I'm constantly comparing my clothing to what others are wearing, I'm immediately uncomfortable and distracted.

Evo said:
Question, will you be seated, or standing behind something so that during the process your legs won't be seen?

...because that would be a shame.

Evo said:
Obviously, if the panel were made of the men here, you wouldn't even have to talk to get the grant. :tongue:

I've already approved the grant!

Yes, Monique, I'm looking at the options and my answer is yes and yes. Sorry, I'm not going to be much help.

Blue.

FlexGunship said:
I don't want to be a contrarian, but I think the dress would meet even a fairly conservative dress code.
Where I worked, we were told not to wear open toed shoes. Different environments, different requirements.

Here, the blue dress is a bit short for an interview and the black outfit is perhaps too informal. Also, the heels are a bit high. But that's here in the US in a non-academic setting and you're there in Europe in an academic setting. My advice is probably worthless.

My advice: Don't take our advice. Ask a female cohort who you can trust and who has successfully negotiated that academic process. Invite her to go shopping with you if she deems neither to be appropriate.

Evo said:
Where I worked, we were told not to wear open toed shoes. Different environments, different requirements.
Fair enough; I didn't even notice the shoes. (Let that be a lesson to every woman everywhere!)

D H said:
My advice: Don't take our advice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liar_paradox

"This sentence is a lie."

Great, thanks for the feedback! :biggrin:

Evo said:
The dress is beautiful, you look great.
Thanks, it's from my favorite designer Karen Millen, I really love how her clothes fit.

The problem is that I don't know what is considered acceptable there. Here, in a professional (not academic) position, the dress would be too short for a formal meeting. My only background is professional at a huge corporation that had a rather strict dress code. That doesn't mean it's not acceptable there. Do you have any way of finding out what other women have worn in such circumstances?

These are scientists, they don't walk around in suits :smile: Everyone does dress up for these interviews, two women last year went in dresses. Another female this year was wearing a dress as well, but last minute went to a store and bought an entirely new outfit with the help with a shopping assistant. I think it's important to show some effort in the preparation, but there isn't a code. I have no idea what the location is like, I have to give a presentation so surely I'll be standing and likely there will be a platform to stand behind.

FlexGunship said:
I don't want to be a contrarian, but I think the dress would meet even a fairly conservative dress code. I think the dividing line is the color of the leggings (or pantyhose). There's no attempt to create the illusion of bare skin.
That was exactly my thought with the covering pantyhose. I tried getting a different outfit together with a longer dress (which I wore during my promotion), but that one has bare shoulders and I couldn't find a formal but light vest to go along with it (and a jacket is too hot) :frown:

D H said:
Here, the blue dress is a bit short for an interview and the black outfit is perhaps too informal. Also, the heels are a bit high.
Those are the only black shoes I have :uhh: I do have some black formal boots.. maybe I should try those.

Monique said:
I do have some black formal boots.. maybe I should try those.

"These boots are made for funding..."

FlexGunship said:
...how do you know this...

Well, sometimes when the wife isn't home, things happen to her clothes...

If it were me, I'd prefer

gladiator-2.jpg

:biggrin:

But then, I'm out of place in time. I'd actually prefer Spartan.

Take Evo's advice, or DH's.

Last edited:
Monique, it doesn't seem you have much time, and since you'll be behind a podium, I say go with the blue dress and black tights.

The dress is gorgeous and you look stunning in it. Of course even black opaque tights can't hide the fact that you have long, sexy legs. But as long as they won't be detracting the people judging (which might be good or bad), I say go ahead. I like your shoes, because of the heat, I'd go with those instead of boots.

The gladiator, haha :smile:

Thanks Evo, with the weather being like it is I also think it's ok to wear something that relates to it. I was contemplating this morning whether I should go out and buy some more modest shoes (which I'm searching for anyway), but then those wouldn't be worn in. The other shoes I can walk around in all day without trouble.

I like those shoes.

This advice comes from an outside source (let's call her 'Miss Gunship' for now).

Monique, if you have a belt you can wear over your dress (Flex says, "?") you can wear it high on your waist to create the illusion of a longer dress.

Flex says: "Googling the phrase 'short dress with belt' confirms that this is a real thing."

EDIT: Also a "waist sash."

Great, now there is a weather alarm for thunderstorms that might even contain hail. I'll have to rethink my strategy again..

What happened to the boots?

There was too much wind, so I went with the black pants and a different blouse and blazer. I was nervous, I came in and there looked to be many more than 15 scientists surrounding me in the room. I hope I blew them away, I'll have to wait four weeks for the outcome :smile:

Fingers crossed :smile:

Sounds intimidating -- or maybe exhilarating :biggrin:. How many competitors are there for the funds?

Monique said:
There was too much wind, so I went with the black pants and a different blouse and blazer. I was nervous, I came in and there looked to be many more than 15 scientists surrounding me in the room. I hope I blew them away, I'll have to wait four weeks for the outcome :smile:

Wow! A tortuous 4 weeks, I'm sure. Sounds like an exciting experience, though!

lisab said:
Sounds intimidating -- or maybe exhilarating :biggrin:. How many competitors are there for the funds?
There were about 250-300 applicants, of which 80 were selected for external review, 42 of those were invited for an interview and 23 will be funded.

The first part was intimidating, because you walk into a room full of people, the presentation is already on the beamer, the chairman says "welcome, you have 5 minutes for your presentation after which we'll have 15 minutes for questions, you can start". The realization it's the most important 5 minutes ever is not good for the nerves.

Then there was time for questions, which I just love so that was exhilarating. There were friendly faces, laughs, committee members disagreeing with "critical remarks" and defending my approach. That was fun, I'd like to do that again.

Good luck. :)

Monique said:
Then there was time for questions, which I just love so that was exhilarating. There were friendly faces, laughs, committee members disagreeing with "critical remarks" and defending my approach. That was fun, I'd like to do that again.

You've probably got it! I'd be very surprised if it turned out otherwise if the system is honest.

For the past three weeks I've had a headache (one week after the interview I received an extra inquiry from the committee that I wasn't too happy about), now I check my e-mail every second, I try not to think about it but everyone asks "have you heard something"? If only I could be busy, well I am, but I'm writing a review article thus I'm spending all my time behind the computer and every e-mail is a potential heart breaker, when will they free me from this ordeal? :cry:

I seriously need a vacation, there's so much fun stuff I want to do, but I need to finish this review and absolutely cannot concentrate. Maybe later today, or tomorrow, or surely before the weekend?? I should get news..

I just went up to the lab and met a Chinese summer student who's doing his first internship, he asked me "are you also a student?" :rofl: all these worries haven't aged me yet.

Monique said:
I just went up to the lab and met a Chinese summer student who's doing his first internship, he asked me "are you also a student?" :rofl: all these worries haven't aged me yet.
I had that yesterday :D. A summer student asked several postdocs and PhD students the same question.

Hang in there Monique, I know this has to be nerve-wracking.