Should I take Matlab for Physics ?

In summary: This is a course designed for students who want to use MatLab in their physics research. The class is being taught by a well-known professor, and the content is said to be relevant to research in physics. The part that is unsure about is whether or not the class would take the place of Quantum Mechanics II, which is required for some students. The class would have Spanish 4 as a required course, but the student would also have Modern Optics with lab, Matlab for Physics, and Physics Research as choices. If the student takes 4 credits of research, that would bring the total course load to 15 credits.
denjay
Should I take "Matlab for Physics"?

So this is one of those questions...

Next semester my Physics department is offering a special course "Matlab for Physics". It's being taught by a well known and respected professor so I'm doubly sure the content covered will be relevant to research in Physics. The part that I'm unsure about is that my schedule is slightly packed and this class would probably take the place of Quantum Mechanics II.

I plan on going to graduate school for Materials Science so QM II would definitely be useful I think. On the other hand I haven't had much experience in programming or numerical software (I took a course in C++ years ago and have used it off and on since then). My schedule with this course would be:

Spanish 4 (required for degree) = 4 cr. hr.
Modern Optics w/ lab (required) = 4 cr. hr.
Matlab for Physics *or* Quantum Mechanics II = 3 or 4 cr. hr. respectively
Physics Research = 2-4 cr. hr.

So assuming I take 4 cr. hr. for research, my total would be 15 with Matlab or 16 with QM. I could risk taking both for 19 cr. hr. but I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that. If that looks like the best option then please still say so as nothing is final.

Any opinion on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Upon reviewing the requirements for a Materials Science PhD (only look at UCLA and UWash@Seattle so far), general quantum mechanics doesn't seem to be a major component. Because of this, is it safe to assume that taking QM II would, while not a waste, be less valuable than the Matlab course?

IMO, the Matlab course would be a good investment of your time and efforts.

I agree with Mark.

I also agree. Matlab is a practical skill that will be far more useful than studying quantum mechanics in almost all endeavors.

I'd like to second the previous opinions, too. Basic computing skills are extremely valuable, and taking the Matlab course might even be the better choice if you actually *are* focusing on advanced QM later on.

If you've never done any programming then it will be very useful. Otherwise just I'd say teach yourself. It's a very straight forward language designed to make it easy to work with matrices etc.

Here some more info:

sunrah said:
If you've never done any programming then it will be very useful. Otherwise just I'd say teach yourself. It's a very straight forward language designed to make it easy to work with matrices etc.

Here some more info:

There is more benefit in this MatLab class than simply learning MatLab.

It's being taught by the physics department, which is interesting (to me anyway, I took it in the engineering department). So technically, while he’s learning MatLab, he will also - hopefully - be learning/reinforcing the physics he has learned.

I think this has weighed in on people's recommendations here.

Thanks for all the input. Yeah the requirements for the course are upper level mechanics and the first upper level EM course so I would assume there would be a reinforcement of things learned in those classes.

Here's a brief description of the class from a flyer.

MatLab for Physics:

Physics with displays and
animations, not formulas

Movies of system dynamics with
real time (cyclotron ex.)

Hands on student involvement

Mechanics (441) and
Electromagnetism (401) or
equivalent completed or
concurrent

1. Should I learn Matlab for Physics if I already know other programming languages?

It is not necessary to learn Matlab if you already know other programming languages such as Python or C++, as they can also be used for physics applications. However, Matlab has specific tools and functions that are designed for scientific and engineering applications, making it a popular choice among physicists.

2. Can I use Matlab for all areas of physics?

Yes, Matlab can be used for a wide range of physics applications such as data analysis, modeling, and simulation. It is particularly useful for tasks that involve large datasets and complex calculations, and it has a variety of built-in functions and toolboxes that cater specifically to different areas of physics.

3. Is Matlab difficult to learn for someone with no programming experience?

While having prior programming experience can make learning Matlab easier, it is not a requirement. Matlab has a user-friendly interface and a comprehensive help system that can assist beginners in learning the basics. With practice and patience, anyone can learn to use Matlab for physics applications.

4. Are there any alternatives to Matlab for physics?

Yes, there are other programming languages and software packages that can be used for physics applications, such as Python, Mathematica, and Maple. However, Matlab remains a popular choice for its specialized tools and functions, as well as its user-friendly interface.

5. Can I use Matlab for free?

While there are paid versions of Matlab available, there is also a free version called Octave that is compatible with Matlab code. Additionally, many universities and research institutions have licenses for Matlab that allow students and researchers to use it for free. It is important to check with your institution for availability and access to free versions of Matlab.