Anyone using Maple in 2019 on regular basis?

In summary: Maple is a powerful tool that I find it hard to replace, although I have tried a few alternatives in the past.
whoohm
TL;DR Summary
Looking for suggestions about Maple software in 2019
I know these software packages were discussed a lot in the past, but I have not seen much input from the last couple years.

I have used Matlab for many years, but remember using Maple in University Physics courses many years ago. I'm interested in a software package for symbolic math to use for study and learning. I'm also wondering if it could be useful in my day-to-day work research. Is anyone on this forum using Maple on a regular basis for work or research? If so, do you like using it better than other alternatives (e.g., Mathematica, Sage, etc.)? Is there a large community of Maple users out there that share workbooks for learning? Any examples? Thanks for the suggestions in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
WHOOHM said:
Is anyone on this forum using Maple on a regular basis for work or research?
Yes, I use it whenever I do symbolic mathematics.

WHOOHM said:
If so, do you like using it better than other alternatives (e.g., Mathematica, Sage, etc.)?

When I was a student, physics students learned Mathematica and mathematics students learned Maple. I had to use both and liked Maple better, although I am sure both are good packages nowadays. Maple's language and type system were not difficult to learn. (Also, once I read a bit more, I started to dislike Wolfram (the person and the company), so that was an extra - albeit somewhat irrational - motivation to stick with Maple.)

Maple has to start offering more to users that want to build their own packages. In particular, I find their GUI interface and code editor pretty bad. Maple is proprietary, so it is hard to make improvements here. On the flip side, the raw power of Maple as a CAS is impressive and very useful to me.

Sage does not appeal to me. It find it too much of a grab-bag and wrapper around other systems that do the actual work. I tried SymPy and liked it (particularly because it ties well with Python), but it cannot match Maple's power.

WHOOHM said:
Is there a large community of Maple users out there that share workbooks for learning? Any examples?

There is MaplePrimes, which is quite active and helpful. There is also the Maple Application Center for sharing work. Unfortunately, these platforms are proprietary in a sense, which makes me personally less inclined to contribute there.

So, you could say I am a regular user and a critical fan.

Last edited:

1. What are the main features of Maple in 2019?

Maple is a comprehensive mathematical software used for solving, analyzing, and visualizing complex mathematical problems. Its main features include a powerful computation engine, advanced graphing tools, and a user-friendly interface.

2. How has Maple evolved over the years?

Since its initial release in 1981, Maple has undergone numerous updates and advancements. In 2019, Maple has a more intuitive interface, improved visualization capabilities, and a wider range of mathematical functions and tools.

3. Can Maple be used for both numerical and symbolic calculations?

Yes, Maple is capable of performing both numerical and symbolic calculations. It can handle complex equations, algebraic expressions, and even differential equations. It also has a built-in library of mathematical functions for various disciplines.

4. Is Maple suitable for all levels of users?

Yes, Maple is designed to be user-friendly and can be used by beginners, students, and professionals alike. It has a variety of tools and resources for learning and mastering its features, making it accessible to all levels of users.

5. Can Maple be used for scientific research?

Absolutely. Maple is widely used in scientific research for its powerful computational capabilities and its ability to handle complex mathematical models. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.