Troubleshooting Mathcad Functions for Thermodynamic Calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in using functions in MathCad to calculate thermodynamic properties. The speaker is having trouble with iterative solutions and is unfamiliar with programming. They also mention an error they encountered when inputting numerical values. The other person responds by suggesting they consult the Mathcad User's Manual and clarifies the proper way to use functions. They emphasize that function calls should only appear on the right-hand side of an assignment statement.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello,

I am trying to use some functions in MathCad given in my thermodynamics textbook to calculate thermodynamic properties. I attached the functions below.

I try using them and then I get an error saying too many commas

I just type in: MCPH(T1,T2;A,B,C,D)=

of course with numerical values, but it gives me that error. I've never touched Mathcad before, nor know how to program, so these problems requiring iterative solutions are becoming overwhelming

Attachments

• programs.mcd
    22.1 KB · Views: 572
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you touched the Mathcad User's Manual?

A function is one or more mathematical expressions that generate a results given an input...you do NOT assign a value to a function by placing it on the left-hand side of an assignment...function calls should only appear on the right-hand side of an assignment statement...and this is not particular to Mathcad, this applies most everywhere.

1. What is Mathcad and why is it useful for thermodynamic calculations?

Mathcad is a computer software program for mathematical and engineering calculations. It is useful for thermodynamic calculations because it allows for efficient and accurate solving of complex equations and systems of equations.

2. How do I troubleshoot a Mathcad function for thermodynamic calculations?

The first step in troubleshooting a Mathcad function for thermodynamic calculations is to check the input values and make sure they are correct. Then, verify that the function is using the correct units and equations. If the function is still not producing the expected results, try simplifying the function or breaking it down into smaller parts to isolate the issue.

3. What are some common errors that can occur when using Mathcad for thermodynamic calculations?

Some common errors that can occur when using Mathcad for thermodynamic calculations include incorrect input values, using the wrong units, and errors in the equations or functions being used. Other issues may arise from using outdated or incorrect thermodynamic data or not properly accounting for assumptions and simplifications.

4. How can I ensure the accuracy of my Mathcad functions for thermodynamic calculations?

To ensure the accuracy of Mathcad functions for thermodynamic calculations, it is important to use reliable and up-to-date thermodynamic data and equations. It is also helpful to compare the results of the function with known values or data points. Additionally, double-checking input values and units can help catch any potential errors.

5. Are there any resources available to help troubleshoot Mathcad functions for thermodynamic calculations?

Yes, there are several resources available to help troubleshoot Mathcad functions for thermodynamic calculations. These include online forums and communities where users can ask for help and exchange ideas, as well as tutorials and guides provided by the Mathcad software company. Additionally, consulting with a thermodynamics expert or instructor can also be beneficial in troubleshooting complex functions.