High ouput power voltage using half bridge resonant

In summary, the conversation revolved around a project involving a half bridge converter of IR2153 and its high output voltage using LTspice simulation. The question was raised as to why the voltage across the two capacitors shown in the image was not half of the voltage source as per the theory of half bridge voltage source inverter. It was suggested that interference from the transformer in the circuit may be the cause. The current for the transformer is supplied from the main supply and is translated to DC voltage through a capacitor and resistor. There was a misunderstanding regarding the function of the capacitors when the MOSFETs are turned on and off.
akbibi
Hi

Im doing a project based on half bridge converter of IR2153 which could produce a high output voltage using the LTspice simulation by means of half bridge topology. Well, I am just wondering as the volatge across the two capacitors that is pointed in the image shown wasnt give half the volatge source as stated in the theory of half bridge voltage source inverter. Can someone point me out and explain why the volatge across these two capacitor was not Vs/2? Does it something to do with some interference produced by the transformer in the cicuit? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 7.53.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 7.53.31 PM.png
    41 KB · Views: 736
Engineering news on Phys.org
Trace what happens as M1 and M2 are alternately switched on / off. ALL of the current for the transformer comes from where?

The diagram below shows the voltage measured from the gate of M1 and M2. The blue graph and the green graph is the voltage in M1 and M2 respectively. The current supplied is basically comes from the main supply which is translated to DC voltage by means of capacitor and resistor connected labelled C1 and R1 from my understanding. Correct me if I am wrong.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 11.16.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 11.16.45 PM.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 680
Sorry I think you misunderstood... in the 1st post - follow the circuit and think about what happens to the caps - as the MOSFETs are turned on and off?

I am bit confused at the moment. what do you mean by the caps?

Back from Travels... But your OP queries "explain why the volatge across these two capacitor was not Vs/2"

What happens to these - when the MOSFETS turn on and off.

1. What is the purpose of using a half bridge resonant circuit to achieve high output power voltage?

The half bridge resonant circuit is commonly used in power electronics to efficiently convert a low voltage input to a high voltage output. By using a resonant circuit, the switching losses are reduced, resulting in higher power conversion efficiency. Additionally, the half bridge configuration allows for bi-directional power flow, making it suitable for applications such as motor drives and renewable energy systems.

2. How does a half bridge resonant circuit work?

A half bridge resonant circuit consists of two switching elements (usually transistors) connected in a bridge configuration, with a resonant inductor and capacitor in parallel. The switching elements alternate between turning on and off, creating a high frequency oscillation in the resonant circuit. This oscillation results in a high voltage output at the center point of the bridge, which can be further amplified by a transformer for even higher output voltages.

3. What are the advantages of using a half bridge resonant circuit over other power conversion methods?

Compared to other commonly used power conversion methods, such as a full bridge or push-pull converter, the half bridge resonant circuit offers several advantages. It has a simpler circuit topology, requires fewer components, and has lower switching losses. It is also more suitable for high voltage applications, as it can easily achieve high output voltages without the need for additional stages.

4. What are the challenges of implementing a high output power voltage using half bridge resonant?

One of the main challenges with a half bridge resonant circuit is controlling the switching elements to maintain the desired high frequency oscillation. This requires precise timing and synchronization, which can be achieved with advanced control techniques such as pulse width modulation (PWM). Another challenge is minimizing the parasitic components of the circuit, such as stray capacitance and inductance, which can affect the performance and efficiency of the circuit.

5. What are some practical applications of high output power voltage using half bridge resonant?

The half bridge resonant circuit is commonly used in a variety of applications, including power supplies, motor drives, renewable energy systems, and electric vehicle charging. It is also suitable for high frequency resonant converters, such as induction heating and wireless power transfer. The efficiency and versatility of this circuit make it a popular choice for many power electronics applications.