How are equations derived from models in physics?

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
In summary, this person is looking for books or tutorials that will teach them how to derive equations from models.
Werg22
Hi I am currently studying physics (mostly mechanics)... however I find that books and teachers unsatisfying on the matter of proofs. I looked for books that give theoretical evidences but I failed to find any... does anyone have recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly do you want a proof of? Generally, I found Symon's mechanics to be quite satisfying proof-wise.

Not something exaclty, but on several things. I am looking for a book that prooves the equations that are given.

This depends greatly on what level you're looking at...
Algebra? Vector trig? Calculus? Diff.Eq?

IMHO, any instance where a theory is actually used
to describe a physical (real) situation (as an example)
that example is a "model" of reality.
You can't "prove" a model - you just try it,
then compare with the experiment.
If the model prediction is pretty close to the experiment,
you use that model again - if not, you toss it out.

If you're just starting, maybe most of the "equations"
are essentially definitions.
(Physics books tend to NOT distinguish equations with 3 lines).
Again, you can't prove a definition -
you keep useful ones and discard the non-useful ones.

lightgrav said:
This depends greatly on what level you're looking at...
Algebra? Vector trig? Calculus? Diff.Eq?

IMHO, any instance where a theory is actually used
to describe a physical (real) situation (as an example)
that example is a "model" of reality.
You can't "prove" a model - you just try it,
then compare with the experiment.
If the model prediction is pretty close to the experiment,
you use that model again - if not, you toss it out.

If you're just starting, maybe most of the "equations"
are essentially definitions.
(Physics books tend to NOT distinguish equations with 3 lines).
Again, you can't prove a definition -
you keep useful ones and discard the non-useful ones.

I could not say I am far into it, but I studied good part of mechanics, optics and accoustics. I understand that physics is built around models, but some equation are derived from the models, what I am looking for is how such equations are obtained.

Last edited:

What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to conducting experiments and gathering evidence in order to answer questions and solve problems. It involves making observations, forming hypotheses, designing experiments, collecting data, and analyzing the results to draw conclusions.

How do you design a good experiment?

A good experiment should have a clear and testable hypothesis, a control group, and an experimental group. The variables should be carefully controlled and only one variable should be changed at a time. The data should be collected and analyzed objectively.

What is the difference between a theory and a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon that can be tested through experimentation. A theory, on the other hand, is a well-supported and widely accepted explanation for a natural phenomenon that has been thoroughly tested and verified through multiple experiments.

What is peer review and why is it important in science?

Peer review is the process of having other experts in the same field critically evaluate and provide feedback on a scientific study before it is published. It helps to ensure the accuracy and validity of research and prevents fraudulent or biased studies from being published.

How does science impact society?

Science has a significant impact on society in many ways. It has led to technological advancements that have improved our daily lives, such as medical treatments and communication technology. It also helps us understand the world around us and make informed decisions about important issues, such as climate change and public health.