Discretization of the divergence operator

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a grid-based code for computing the divergence of a velocity field on a mesh. The best discretization for the divergence operator in this scenario involves calculating the volume of fluid passing through each cube's faces, using the dot product of the velocity vector with the surface's normal vector.
matteo86bo
I work with a grid-based code, this means that all of my quantities are defined on a mesh. I need to compute, for every point of the mesh the divergence of the velocity field.
All I have is, for every cell of my mesh, the values of the 3-d velocity in his 26 neighbors.
I call neighbors the cells with center (i,j,k) with i,j,k=-1,0,1 and (0,0,0) being the center of the cell.
What's the best discretization of the divergence operator under these assumptions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I assume you must be dealing with something like an incompressible fluid if the only parameter you need to use is the velocity.

For an incompressible fluid, the divergence of a point measures the net amount of fluid coming out of that point, so unless there is a "source" or "sink" of fluid in that region, then there is no divergence. If you discretize the fluid into cubical regions, where each cube has a given velocity vector, then you can simply calculate the volume of fluid each cube sends through each of its square faces. If a given face separates cubes A and B, then the relevant quantity for that face is (volume A sends through face)+(volume B sends through face). The volume of incompressible fluid passing through the face is equal to the dot product of the velocity vector with the surface's normal vector (oriented outwards from the core of the cube). If, for example, the face separating cubes A and B is parallel to the y-z plane, then the normal vector is [itex]\hat{\mathbf{x}}[/itex] for cube A and [itex]-\hat{\mathbf{x}}[/itex] for cube B, so the relevant quantity for the face is [itex]\mathbf{v_A}\cdot\hat{\mathbf{x}}-\mathbf{v_B}\cdot\hat{\mathbf{x}}[/itex]. So to get a measure of the divergence for an entire cube, you might average the six values for each of the faces.

Related to Discretization of the divergence operator

What is the purpose of discretizing the divergence operator?

The divergence operator represents the flow of a vector field out of a given point in space. Discretizing it allows for numerical calculations of this flow, which is useful in various scientific and engineering applications, such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetics.

What are the common methods for discretizing the divergence operator?

The most commonly used methods include finite difference, finite volume, and finite element methods. These methods differ in their approach to approximating the continuous divergence operator with a discrete one, and have different levels of accuracy and computational complexity.

How does the choice of discretization method affect the accuracy of the results?

The accuracy of the results depends on the type of problem being solved and the chosen discretization method. In general, higher-order methods (such as finite element) tend to be more accurate but also more computationally expensive, while lower-order methods (such as finite difference) are less accurate but more computationally efficient.

What challenges are involved in discretizing the divergence operator?

One of the main challenges is dealing with irregular geometries and boundary conditions, as these can significantly affect the accuracy of the results. Another challenge is choosing an appropriate discretization method and grid resolution, as this can greatly impact the computational cost and accuracy of the solution.

How is discretization of the divergence operator used in real-world applications?

Discretization of the divergence operator is used in various real-world applications, such as simulating fluid flow in pipes, designing aerodynamic structures, and modeling electromagnetic fields in electronic devices. It is also a fundamental component of many numerical methods used in computational physics and engineering.