How does cholesterol maintain optimal fluidity in cell membranes?

In summary, cholesterol is able to make the cell membrane more rigid and prevent phase transitions by its structure, which includes a small head group and a bulky tail group with a rigid steroid ring. This immobilizes surrounding phospholipids and makes the membrane less fluid. Cholesterol also aids in the formation of lipid rafts, which are thicker microdomains that can accommodate other membrane proteins. Additionally, cholesterol prevents interaction between hydrocarbon tails of lipids and remains bend to prevent close packing, allowing the membrane to remain fluid at lower temperatures.
JimmyRay
hi, my textbook shows how cholesterol sort of patches the cell membrane together, keeps it at optimal fluidity... I was just wondering how cholesterol is able to do this... I am in grade 11 biology I am not being tested on this or whatever I was just wondering if anyone knew...

Biology news on Phys.org
Well, membranes are bilayers of lipids. A lipid has a polar head group and two non-poloar tail groups, the head is pointed outward to the water and the tails inward of the bilayer.

Cholesterol make the membrane more rigid and prevents phase transitions that could lead to crystallization. The reason that cholesterol does this, is because of its structure. Cholesterol has a very small head group and a bulky tail group with a rigid steroid ring structure, which cause it to be bend. This bending immobilizes surrounding phospholipids, thus making the membrane less fluid.

Eukaryotic plasma membranes (such as the human) contain especially large amounts of cholesterol, up to one molecule for every phospolipid molecule.

Cholesterol also aids in the formation of lipid rafts, which are microdomains also containing sphingolipids (with long saturated fatty hydrocarbon tails). These lipid raft domains are thicker than other parts of the lipid bilayer, and are thus able to accommodate other membrane proteins.

hi thanks for replying

Well ok I understand that cholesterol makes the membrane less fluid, like as you said due to the bending... well it makes it LESS fluid when there's a lot of energy in the cell membrane (temperature high) ok which is how it keeps the cell membrane together, but how does it also make it FLUID at the same time? when temperature is low...

That is because for a phase transition to occur from a liquid state to a rigid crystalline (gel) state, the hydrocarbon tails need to be closely packed and ordered.

1) cholesterol prevents interaction between hydrocarbon tails of lipids
2) cholesterol is bend and thus prevents close packing

So the membrane remains fluid at lower temperatures, than would normally be allowed.

Ohh ok, I see, thank you.

FAQ: How does cholesterol maintain optimal fluidity in cell membranes?

1. What is cholesterol in the cell membrane?

Cholesterol is a type of lipid molecule that is found in the cell membrane, which is the outer layer of a cell that acts as a barrier between the cell and its environment.

2. What is the function of cholesterol in the cell membrane?

Cholesterol helps to maintain the fluidity and stability of the cell membrane by preventing the phospholipid molecules from packing too tightly together. It also plays a role in cell signaling and helps to regulate the movement of molecules in and out of the cell.

3. Where does cholesterol come from in the cell membrane?

Cholesterol can be obtained from the diet, but our bodies also produce cholesterol in the liver. The liver then packages the cholesterol into lipoproteins, which transport it to different cells in the body, including the cell membrane.

4. Can too much cholesterol in the cell membrane be harmful?

While cholesterol is necessary for the proper functioning of the cell membrane, too much cholesterol can be harmful. Excess cholesterol can lead to the formation of plaques in the arteries, which can increase the risk of heart disease.

5. How does cholesterol affect the fluidity of the cell membrane?

Cholesterol helps to maintain the fluidity of the cell membrane by preventing the phospholipid molecules from packing too closely together. This allows the membrane to remain flexible and allows for the movement of molecules in and out of the cell.