Unraveling the Concept of Relativity: Understanding Light and Time

In summary, time slows down as we go faster because the speed of light is the same for all observers.
Gear300
Over time, I've realized there are certain limits to how far the human imagination can go. Even for simple things, it seems that we can not imagine much further than what experience allows...anyways: How does this light and time thing work? How is it that time slows down as we go faster?? It doesn't seem all too hard for me to imagine going faster than a beam of light...and why is light constant...and why at 3.00 X 10E8 m/s...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gear300 said:
and why is light constant...and why at 3.00 X 10E8 m/s...?
No one knows.

Gear300 said:
How is it that time slows down as we go faster??
That's a consequence of the fact that the speed of light doesn't depend on the speed of the light source. Imagine a spaceship moving with velocity v relative to you, and suppose they switch on a laser with the beam going perpendicular to the direction of their motion (from their point of view), and hitting a target inside the ship.

To them, the distance between the light source and the target is ct, where t is the time it takes the light to reach the target according to their clock. But from your point of view, the ship will have moved a distance vt' when the laser hits the target, where t' is the time it takes the light to reach the target according to your clock. So from your point of view, the light had to travel a greater distance to reach its target. That distance is ct'.

But ct', vt' and ct are not independent of each other. The relationship between them is described by the Pythagorean theorem, since ct' is the hypothenuse of a right triangle, so we have

[tex](ct')^2=(vt')^2+(ct)^2[/tex]

If you solve this for t, the result is

[tex]t=t'\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/tex]

which is <t' since that square root is <1.

Last edited:
...I see. You've seemed to have answered my question...it makes sense. But just to give purpose to...why does time slow down when we go faster? Is it because while moving, the energy dimensionally stresses space...and to that extent...time?

why does time slow down when we go faster?

your clocks will appear slower to someone who is moving relative to you. You won't notice anything different. The reason, as Frederik has indicated, is because the speed of light is the same for both ( and all) observers.

I don't think I can come up with a better answer than the one I already gave you. It has nothing to do with energy. Neither space nor time needs to be "stressed" in any way for this effect to appear.

This is one way to think of it: A clock is a device that measures the "length" of its own path through space-time, with "length" defined in a strange way. To calculate it, you could break the path up into a series of short jumps and then add up contributions of the form [itex]\sqrt{c^2dt^2-dx^2-dy^2-dz^2}[/itex] along the path. The dx, dy and dz are all =0 along the path through space-time of a clock that's stationary in space, so a stationary clock takes the "longest" possible path through space-time.

Note that c is the upper speed limit on massive particles and that the presence of c in that square root implies that a higher value of c would make the contribution from dx, dy and dz less significant. So if there was no upper speed limit (i.e. if we take the limit [itex]c\rightarrow\infty[/itex]) all paths between the same two endpoints would have exactly the same "length", and there would be no time dilation.

Interesting stuff...its beginning to make a little bit of sense to me now...

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, first developed by Albert Einstein, is a concept in physics that explains how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative speed or position. It also explains how the speed of light is constant and the laws of physics do not change for objects moving at high speeds.

2. How does relativity relate to light and time?

Relativity is based on two main principles: the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the principle of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference. These principles help us understand how light and time behave in different situations and how they are interconnected.

3. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with objects moving at constant speeds, while general relativity takes into account acceleration and gravity. Special relativity explains how space and time are affected by high speeds, while general relativity explains how gravity affects the curvature of spacetime.

4. How does the theory of relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

The theory of relativity has had a significant impact on our understanding of the universe. It has helped us explain many phenomena, such as the bending of light by massive objects, the behavior of black holes, and the expansion of the universe. It also led to the development of the famous equation E=mc², which explains the relationship between mass and energy.

5. Is the theory of relativity proven?

The theory of relativity has been extensively tested and has been proven to be accurate in explaining various phenomena. However, there are still some unanswered questions and ongoing research in this field. Additionally, some aspects of relativity, such as its compatibility with quantum mechanics, are still being studied and debated by scientists.