How Do You Calculate the Nominal Interest Rate Compounded Differently?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the nominal interest rate that is equivalent to 18%/a compounded quarterly, if interest is paid monthly. The formula used is (1 + i^(4)/4)^4 = (1 + i^(12)/12)^12, and the answer is found to be 17.736%/a compounded monthly. The conversation also confirms the correctness of the answer and provides additional resources for understanding the concept.
aisha
:rolleyes: how do u do this ? Find the nominal interest rate that is equivalent to 18%/a compounded quarterly, if interest is paid monthly?

WOh confusing What do u do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not really sure if your given is 18%/a convertible quarterly or 18% convertible quarterly, however, i can try to help you in both;

The formula used here should be

[tex]
(1 + \frac{i^{(4)}}{4})^4 = (1 + \frac{i^{(12)}}{12})^{12}
[/tex]

Whatever it is, you are given [tex]i^{(4)}[/tex]. Solve for [tex]i^{(12)}[/tex]

Does this make sense I did all the calculations following an example problem its a little hard to write it out here but I wrote

P(1+0.18/4)^4=P(1+i)^12

and solved for i finding the 12th root of the left side and then subtracting 1

i=0.001478 or 1.478% then to get the nominal rate I multiplied this by 12

so 12*1.478% and got = 17.736%

Therefore 17.736%/a compounded monthly is equivalent to 18%/a compounded quarterly.

IS THIS CORRECT?

ANYONE KNOW IF MY PREVIOUS POSTS ANSWER IS CORRECT ANYONE? :rolleyes:

aisha said:
ANYONE KNOW IF MY PREVIOUS POSTS ANSWER IS CORRECT ANYONE? :rolleyes:

Hi there:

Read this lecture and you'll know the answer by yourself:

[PPT]Nominal and Effective Interest rates

(Write it on any search engine and then download the link - Good luck.

Feel free to send back if you cannot get it.

gmohamed said:
Hi there:

To complete my answer after viewing the lecture I sent you with other references, yes, your answer is correct.

The formula you need to use here is as follows:

(1 + 18%/4)^4 = (1 + i/12)^12

Only i is unknown and you need to figure it out as follows:
Just do simple math, and re-write terms, then, you will find the following answer:

i = 0.1773655395684

You can also reach to the same answer by simply using the equivalent interest rate calculator.

Good luck :)

Last edited:

Related to How Do You Calculate the Nominal Interest Rate Compounded Differently?

1. What is a nominal interest rate?

A nominal interest rate is the stated interest rate on a loan or investment, without taking into account inflation or compounding. It is the rate that is advertised or agreed upon, but not necessarily the rate that is actually earned or paid.

2. How is the nominal interest rate calculated?

The nominal interest rate is typically calculated by taking the annual interest rate and dividing it by the number of compounding periods in a year. For example, if the annual interest rate is 8% and interest is compounded monthly, the nominal interest rate would be 0.08/12 = 0.0067 or 0.67% per month.

3. What is the difference between a nominal interest rate and an annual percentage rate (APR)?

The nominal interest rate is the stated rate without taking into account any additional fees or charges, while the APR includes these additional costs. The APR is generally a more accurate representation of the true cost of borrowing or investing, as it takes into account all expenses associated with the loan or investment.

4. How does inflation affect the nominal interest rate?

Inflation can have a significant impact on the nominal interest rate, as it decreases the purchasing power of money over time. As inflation increases, the value of the interest earned or paid decreases, making the nominal interest rate less valuable. This is why it is important to consider the inflation rate when evaluating the true return on an investment or the cost of borrowing.

5. Can the nominal interest rate be negative?

Yes, the nominal interest rate can be negative, although this is uncommon. A negative nominal interest rate occurs when the rate of inflation is higher than the stated interest rate, resulting in a net loss for the borrower or investor. This can happen during times of deflation, when prices are decreasing, and the value of money is increasing.