Could a Voitenko Compressor be Used in a Missile for Armor-Piercing Attacks?

• Thread starter Misericorde
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compressor
In summary, the Voitenko Compressor is a shaped charge that rapidly deforms a metal plate to accelerate test gas. This technology has led to the development of a self-destroying shock tube for super-compression work. It is possible that this technology could be used in a missile with a non-compressible liquid warhead to punch through armor. It is also possible that there are other HEAT mechanisms that could achieve similar results. However, the Voitenko Compressor is unique in its ability to release a large amount of energy as a subset of shaped charges. It may be more effective to focus on the larger family of shaped charges with various types of EFPs.
Misericorde
Hello, this is my first post, and it's not for any kind of homework, but rather for a work of fiction. From what I understand the Voitenko Compressor is a shaped charge which rapidly deforms a metal plate to accelerate the test gas.

From reading a bit, it seems that this lead to a self-destroying shock tube for super-compression work http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voitenko_compressor .

Is it beyond imagining (i.e. sci-fi) that you could have a missile which uses this, and is loaded with a "warhead" of non-compressible liquid to punch through armor, a bit like an EFP?

Please let me know if there is already a far better way to do this, such as other HEAT mechanisms, or if this kind of device would almost certainly always require laboratory conditions. Remember, there is some latitude for the sake of fiction, but if there is a better way to reach these energies in a disposable package, and this is stretching credulity please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
JaredJames said:
A shape charge.

It is a explosive with a cone of metal that focuses the blast to punch through armour.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaped_charge

I'm familiar with these, and in fact I think any shock-tube is predicated on a kind of shaped charge. What makes these versions unique is the amount of energy released as a subset of shaped charges. In the end, you think I should ignore specific subsets in favor of the larger family of shaped charges with various kinds of EFPs?

What is the Voitenko Compressor Query?

The Voitenko Compressor Query is a scientific method used to analyze and optimize the performance of compressors. It was developed by Russian scientist Leonid Voitenko in the 1960s and has since been widely used in the field of fluid dynamics.

How does the Voitenko Compressor Query work?

The Voitenko Compressor Query uses a mathematical model to simulate the airflow through a compressor. It takes into account parameters such as the geometry of the compressor, the type of fluid being compressed, and the operating conditions. By analyzing the results of the simulation, engineers can identify areas of inefficiency and make adjustments to improve the performance of the compressor.

What are the benefits of using the Voitenko Compressor Query?

The Voitenko Compressor Query allows for a more thorough understanding of the flow patterns and energy losses within a compressor. This information can then be used to optimize the design of the compressor, resulting in increased efficiency and reduced energy consumption. It is also a cost-effective method compared to physical testing of compressors.

What types of compressors can the Voitenko Compressor Query be applied to?

The Voitenko Compressor Query can be applied to a wide range of compressors, including centrifugal, axial, and reciprocating compressors. It is also suitable for both single-stage and multi-stage compressors. However, the accuracy of the results may vary depending on the complexity of the compressor design.

Are there any limitations to the Voitenko Compressor Query?

While the Voitenko Compressor Query is a valuable tool for compressor analysis, it does have some limitations. It assumes steady-state flow conditions and ideal fluid properties, which may not always reflect real-world operating conditions. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by the quality of the input data and assumptions made during the simulation.

Back