Register to reply

Need help finding exact time of planet aspects with Jean Meeus library

by orbit123
Tags: aspects, exact, jean, planet, time
Share this thread:
orbit123
Jul11-14, 09:50 AM
P: 1
I am using the C library that comes with the book Astronomical Algorithms by Jean Meeus http://www.willbell.com/math/mc1.htm

This book and C library has a calculation for two planets Conjunction and Opposition but no other planet aspects. Does anyone know a method to find when two planets are a fixed degree apart such as 90 degrees, 120 degrees or any other degree?

The problem I have run into is that geocentric planets move through a retrograde and direct cycle. As an outer planet approaches the transition from retrograde to direct it is almost stationary at which time I can not calculate any accurate degree of separation. So I need a proven method to calculate the date-time of exact angular separate even when two planets are almost stationary.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Patrick
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Mixing in star-forming clouds explains why sibling stars look alike
Thermonuclear X-ray bursts on neutron stars set speed record
How can we find tiny particles in exoplanet atmospheres?
Greg Bernhardt
Jul14-14, 11:41 PM
Admin
P: 9,574
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?
.Scott
Jul15-14, 04:18 PM
P: 621
I think you're looking for a "Fundamental Solar System ephemeris".
I have never used such a thing, but there seems to be something useful at this site: http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/

tfr000
Aug5-14, 08:00 AM
P: 127
Need help finding exact time of planet aspects with Jean Meeus library

The only way to do this exactly is to run a full-blown ephemeris of the Solar System and interpolate. Meeus gives you some handy formulae to approximate a number of interesting configurations, but these are indeed approximations boiled down from the full ephemera.

Register to reply