If I want to learn about tensor mathematics - where do I need to start

In summary, to learn about tensor mathematics, you will need a background in linear algebra and multivariable calculus. A recommended book for this is "Introduction to Vectors and Tensors" by Bowen & Wang. It is available online in two volumes. It is also helpful to have some knowledge of abstract algebra to understand the language and notation used in definitions.
mtc1973
If I want to learn about tensor mathematics - where do I need to start (i.e. what precursory mathematical knowledge will I need) and does anyone have any good site/book recommendations?

thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org

This is what I often recommend --
https://www.amazon.com/dp/048661879X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you don't already have any, then you'll need to have some background in linear algebra (and for starting tensors, you'll also need familiarity with calculus in Rn space (multivariable calculus)). This book covers the multivariable calculus, but you'll need to learn linear algebra from some other source.

Last edited by a moderator:

excellent - thanks

To begin learning about tensor mathematics, it is important to have a strong understanding of linear algebra and multivariable calculus. This includes concepts such as vector spaces, matrices, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, partial derivatives, and gradient vectors. Additionally, a solid background in differential equations and abstract algebra can also be helpful.

There are many resources available for learning about tensor mathematics, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Some recommended textbooks include "Introduction to Tensor Calculus and Continuum Mechanics" by John H. Heinbockel and "Tensor Analysis" by Edward Nelson. Online courses and lectures can be found on platforms such as Coursera, edX, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

It is also beneficial to practice solving problems and working through examples to gain a better understanding of the concepts. Some websites that offer practice problems and tutorials include MathIsFun, Khan Academy, and Brilliant.

Overall, the key to learning tensor mathematics is to have a strong foundation in the necessary mathematical concepts and to practice regularly. With dedication and persistence, anyone can learn about tensor mathematics and its applications in various fields of science and engineering.

1. What is tensor mathematics?

Tensor mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of tensors, which are mathematical objects that describe the relationships between vectors and scalars in a multi-dimensional space. Tensors have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. Where can I use tensor mathematics?

Tensor mathematics has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and data science. It is used to model and solve complex problems involving multi-dimensional data and relationships between different variables.

3. How do I start learning tensor mathematics?

The best way to start learning tensor mathematics is by having a strong foundation in linear algebra, multivariate calculus, and differential equations. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of vector calculus and mathematical notation.

4. Are there any online resources for learning tensor mathematics?

Yes, there are plenty of online resources available for learning tensor mathematics. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare. There are also various tutorials, videos, and articles available on YouTube and other educational websites.

5. How long does it take to learn tensor mathematics?

The time it takes to learn tensor mathematics varies for each individual and depends on their prior knowledge and dedication. With a strong foundation in related mathematical concepts, one can start understanding and applying tensor mathematics within a few months. However, to master it, it may take years of practice and study.