OpenGL problems - viewports & subwindows

• Thread starter Ahlam
  • Start date
In summary, a viewport in OpenGL is a defined area on the screen where graphics are rendered and can be split into multiple sections. To set up and change viewports, the glViewport() function is used. Subwindows are additional viewports within a main window and can be created and managed using functions such as glutCreateSubWindow() and glutSetWindow(). Common problems with viewports and subwindows include incorrect positioning, overlapping, and mismatched aspect ratios. Careful management is important to avoid these issues.
Ahlam
Hello every body;

I was trying to write a text using Bitmap or stroke methods, and it works, but the text is written in the left bottom of the window

so I tried to specify some viewport to write in it; but it still writing in the left bottom of the window ... so I was forced to use subwindows each time I want to write ! which is very nervous actually ... :(

please .. any help ??

Technology news on Phys.org
Can you post your drawing routine?

1. What is a viewport in OpenGL?

A viewport in OpenGL is a rectangular area on the screen where graphics will be rendered. It is defined by its position and size, and determines the portion of the screen that will display the rendered graphics. Multiple viewports can be used to split the screen into different sections for displaying different graphics or scenes.

2. How do I set up and change viewports in OpenGL?

To set up a viewport in OpenGL, you need to use the glViewport() function. This function takes in four parameters: the x and y coordinates of the lower left corner of the viewport, and the width and height of the viewport. To change the viewport, simply call glViewport() again with different parameters.

3. What are subwindows in OpenGL?

In OpenGL, subwindows are additional viewports that can be created within a main window. They are commonly used for displaying multiple scenes or graphics simultaneously. Each subwindow has its own viewport, and can be resized or moved independently from the main window.

4. How do I create and manage subwindows in OpenGL?

To create a subwindow in OpenGL, you need to use the glutCreateSubWindow() function. This function takes in the ID of the parent window, as well as the coordinates and size of the subwindow. To manage subwindows, you can use the glutSetWindow() function to set the current active window, and then use other OpenGL functions to manipulate the graphics in that subwindow.

5. What are some common problems with viewports and subwindows in OpenGL?

Some common problems with viewports and subwindows in OpenGL include incorrect positioning or sizing of the viewport, overlapping or conflicting viewports, and mismatched aspect ratios between the viewport and the graphics being rendered. It is important to carefully set up and manage viewports and subwindows to avoid these issues.