Confirming Trigonometric Equation Solutions

In summary, the student has solved some questions and is looking to confirm their answers. They are unsure about a few solutions that they have found, including 5pi/3 + 2n*pi, 4pi/3 + 2n*pi, pi/2 + 2n*pi/3, pi/3 + 2n*pi, and 2n*pi/3. They are seeking confirmation for these solutions before their upcoming test.
sarah786
i have solved some questions but my answers don't match with the solution list i have in my book... please if you help me check my answers, i'll be very grateful..

√3 tan x - sec x - 1 = 0 ... i get three solutions to this question but my book's got two... it doesn't mention 5pi/3 + 2n*pi... do u think this is also a soln to this question??

sin2x + sin x = 0 ... one of the solutions that i get is 4pi/3 + 2n*pi ... my book doesn't mention this... am i correct??

sin 4x - sin 2x = cos 3x ... one of the solutions that i get is pi/2 + 2n*pi/3 ... am i right?

sin x + sin 3x + sin 5x = 0 ... are pi/3 + 2n*pi and 2n*pi/3 also solutions to this eq. ??

LAST ONE :) ... sin θ + sin 3θ + sin 5θ + sin 7θ = 0 ... is 3*pi/4 + n*pi also a solution...

I really need to confirm the answers i am having my grand test tomorrow... i have tried them but not sure about the answers... i will be grateful forever if you confirm these... thanks :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
sarah786 said:
i have solved some questions but my answers don't match with the solution list i have in my book... please if you help me check my answers, i'll be very grateful..

√3 tan x - sec x - 1 = 0 ... i get three solutions to this question but my book's got two... it doesn't mention 5pi/3 + 2n*pi... do u think this is also a soln to this question??
5pi/3 + 2n*pi is not a solution. This is easy enough to check, using pi/3 for the reference angle. tan(pi/3) = √3, sec(pi/3) = 2, so tan(5pi/3) = -√3 and sec(5pi/3) = 2. Substituting into your equation gives
√3(-√3) - 2 - 1 = -3 - 2 - 1 = -6.

For the rest of your problems you should check them yourself. You've already done the hardest work. Checking your solutions involves determinining whether you get a true statement when you replace the variable in the equation by the value you're checking.
sarah786 said:
sin2x + sin x = 0 ... one of the solutions that i get is 4pi/3 + 2n*pi ... my book doesn't mention this... am i correct??

sin 4x - sin 2x = cos 3x ... one of the solutions that i get is pi/2 + 2n*pi/3 ... am i right?

sin x + sin 3x + sin 5x = 0 ... are pi/3 + 2n*pi and 2n*pi/3 also solutions to this eq. ??

LAST ONE :) ... sin θ + sin 3θ + sin 5θ + sin 7θ = 0 ... is 3*pi/4 + n*pi also a solution...

I really need to confirm the answers i am having my grand test tomorrow... i have tried them but not sure about the answers... i will be grateful forever if you confirm these... thanks :)

FAQ: Confirming Trigonometric Equation Solutions

1. What are trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These equations are used to solve for unknown angles or sides of a triangle.

2. How do you solve trigonometric equations?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you must isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities. Then, you can use inverse trigonometric functions to find the value of the variable.

3. What are the most common trigonometric identities used to solve equations?

The most commonly used trigonometric identities to solve equations are the Pythagorean identities (sin^2x + cos^2x = 1), the sum and difference identities (sin(x+y) = sinxcosy + cosxsiny), and the double angle identities (sin2x = 2sinxcosx).

4. How do you check if a solution to a trigonometric equation is correct?

You can check if a solution to a trigonometric equation is correct by plugging the value of the variable into the original equation and verifying that the equation is true.

5. Can trigonometric equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, trigonometric equations can have an infinite number of solutions due to the periodic nature of trigonometric functions. However, when solving an equation, it is usually specified to find the principal solution within a certain range or interval.