Boolean Algebra - Simplest POS / SOP

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of finding the simplest Product of Sums (POS) and Sum of Products (SOP) expressions. The speaker asks if the given expression (A+B+C')(A+B'+C)(C+D) is already in its simplest form or if it needs further simplification. They also inquire about the use of distributive law and whether having A, B, C, and D in every term would make it a product of maxterms. The speaker also asks for clarification on whether an expression like ABC+BD+A'BCD' is considered a minimal SOP.
xenocid3r
Hey all

So i just need some clarification, though I hope I am posting in right section (this is not a HW Q)

I was told to find the simplest Product of Sums(POS) and Sum of Products(SOP)

1st 2nd 3rd
|| || ||
now i know that POS mean that (A+B+C')(A+B'+C)(C+D). Is the simplest form of this expression is that I need to have ABCD in every term there. or is this form is already simplest. Do I need to add D to the first 2 terms and A and B to the 3rd?
I mean do i need to use the distributive law in order to minimize an expression like that?

I was trying to look in my textbook but could understand it very clearly. Would appreciate if someone can explain that to me.

P.S. the expression above is not part of the homework, I just gave something random. I am trying to understand the concept and not to solve it.

Thanks for anyone who will try to help me here

Xeno

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
xenocid3r said:
now i know that POS mean that (A+B+C')(A+B'+C)(C+D). Is the simplest form of this expression is that I need to have ABCD in every term there.

No, if you had A, B, C, and D in every product term, then the expression would be a product of maxterms. The expression you posted is simpler than the equivalent product of maxterms.

Thanks for the reply.

another thing. in a sum of products, can I have ABC+BD+A'BCD'. Is this consider a minimal SOP? I know I can combine the above terms to get rid of few literals. but just for the sake of it, let's assume it isn't possible.

1. What is Boolean Algebra?

Boolean Algebra is a branch of mathematics and logic that deals with operations on logical values and binary variables. It is used to simplify and analyze complex logical expressions and circuits.

2. What is the simplest form of Boolean Algebra?

The simplest form of Boolean Algebra is the expression in either Sum of Products (SOP) or Product of Sums (POS) form, where each term is a combination of AND and OR operators.

3. What is the difference between SOP and POS?

SOP (Sum of Products) form represents a logical expression as the sum of several product terms, while POS (Product of Sums) form represents a logical expression as the product of several sum terms. The main difference is the placement of the AND and OR operators within the expression.

4. How do you convert a logical expression to its simplest SOP/POS form?

To convert a logical expression to its simplest SOP form, you need to use the Boolean algebra laws such as the distributive, associative, and commutative laws to simplify the expression and then group the terms with the same variables together. To convert to POS form, you need to first convert the expression to its complement form, apply the same simplification laws, and then take the complement of the resulting expression.

5. Why is Boolean Algebra important?

Boolean Algebra is important because it is used in various fields such as computer science, digital electronics, and mathematics to model and analyze logical systems. It is also the basis for designing and simplifying complex digital circuits and programming logic in computer programs.