Solution to 2nd order ODE using the D operator method with 2 trig terms on RHS

In summary, to solve the given differential equation, you can use the D operator to rewrite the terms on the right hand side as a sum of simpler terms, such as sin(x)y' + cos(x)y and e^2x + e^-2x. Then you can use the method of undetermined coefficients to solve for the particular solution. Don't forget to substitute D^2 = -\alpha^2 for the single trig term and use the rule D(p(x)y) = p'(x)y + p(x)Dy for the polynomial and trigonometric term. Good luck!
mitch_1211
Hey,

I have the DE

y'' -2y' + 3y = xsin(x) + 2cosh(2x)

Using the D operator as D = [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] this becomes

(D2 -2D +3)y = xsin(x) + 2cosh(2x)

so yp = [itex]\frac{1}{p(D^2)}[/itex] operating on xsin(x) + 2cosh(2x)

(i think)

So i know if this was say [itex]\frac{1}{p(D^2)}[/itex] operating on sin(x)
i.e (D2 -2D +3)y = sin(x)
then yp = 1/(D2 -2D +3) * sin(x)

and you would substitute D2 = -([itex]\alpha[/itex])2 and proceed to solve.(where alpha is the coefficient of x in the argument of sin, here it is 1)

My question is, I have a term on the RHS which is polynomial times trig; xsin(x) and a trig term which can be treated as an exponential; 2cosh(2x)

I know I can split this into
yp = 1/(D2 -2D +3) * xsin(x) + yp = 1/(D2 -2D +3) * 2cosh(2x)

But I'm unsure of the 'rules' to use here, i.e for a single trig term you swapped D2
for -([itex]\alpha[/itex])2
But what do you do for a poly times a trig and for the cosh function?

Any points would be much appreciated, if all else fails I will have to resort to the method of undetermined coefficients

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. It looks like you are on the right track with using the D operator to solve this differential equation. However, I would like to clarify a few points for you.

Firstly, when you have a term like xsin(x) on the right hand side, you can use the rule that D(p(x)y) = p'(x)y + p(x)Dy. So in this case, you can rewrite xsin(x) as sin(x)y' + cos(x)y. Then you can use the D operator to solve each term separately.

Secondly, for the term 2cosh(2x), you can use the fact that cosh(x) = (e^x + e^-x)/2. So 2cosh(2x) can be rewritten as e^2x + e^-2x. Then you can use the D operator to solve each term separately as well.

Overall, the key is to use the D operator to rewrite each term on the right hand side as a sum of terms that are easier to solve. Then you can apply the method of undetermined coefficients to solve for the particular solution.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your problem!

1. How do you use the D operator method to solve a 2nd order ODE?

To use the D operator method, we first need to convert the 2nd order ODE into a polynomial equation in terms of the D operator. Then, we can use the properties of the D operator to simplify the equation and find the solution.

2. What does it mean to have 2 trig terms on the right-hand side of the 2nd order ODE?

Having 2 trig terms on the right-hand side means that the equation involves trigonometric functions (such as sine and cosine) and their derivatives. These terms can make the solution more complex, but the D operator method can still be used to find the solution.

3. Can the D operator method be used for higher order ODEs or only 2nd order?

The D operator method can be used for any order of ODE, but it is most commonly used for 2nd order ODEs. For higher order ODEs, the process of converting the equation into a polynomial form using the D operator can become more complicated.

4. What are the advantages of using the D operator method for solving ODEs?

The D operator method offers a systematic approach to solving ODEs, making it easier to follow and understand the steps involved. It also allows us to use properties of the D operator to simplify the equation and find the solution more efficiently.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions to using the D operator method?

The D operator method may not be suitable for all types of ODEs, such as those with non-constant coefficients or non-linear terms. In these cases, alternative methods may need to be used. Additionally, the method may become more complex for higher order ODEs.