Rational Chebyshev Collocation Method For Damped Harmonic Oscilator

In summary, the author is using a pseudospectral method to solve a damped harmonic oscillator. They are having success with the first problem but are having difficulty with the second problem.
Leonardo Machado
Hello everyone.

I'm currently trying to solve the damped harmonic oscillator with a pseudospectral method using a Rational Chebyshev basis

$$
\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}+3\frac{dx}{dt}+x=0, \\
x(t)=\sum_{n=0}^N TL_n(t), \\
x(0)=3, \\
\frac{dx}{dt}=0.
$$

I'm using for reference the book "Chebyshev and Fourier Spectral Methods", from John P. Boyd. In this book it is said that if the solution for my ODE converges to zero (or a finite value) as t goes to infinity it can be approximated as a series of Rational Chebyshev functions. I had success in applying this method to solve

$$
\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}-x=0, \\
x(0)=3, \\
x(\inf)=0.
$$

But I'm failing in the problem first presented.Does anyone know if this problem is made to be solved with a Fourier basis instead of Chebyshev? I know that for the Simple Harmonic Oscillator it happens (because of the boundary behavorial condition of oscillation).

Physics news on Phys.org
You are making this problem too difficult. The characteristic polynomial of your d.e. is $$\lambda^2 + 3\lambda +1=0\\
\lambda_1=\frac{-3}{2}+\frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}\\
\lambda_2=\frac{-3}{2}-\frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}$$Assume a solution in the form$$x(t)=Ae^{\lambda_1 t} +Be^{\lambda_2 t}$$where A and B are constants. From your initial conditions you can solve for A and B. See http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/IntroSecondOrder.aspx

Fred Wright said:
You are making this problem too difficult. The characteristic polynomial of your d.e. is $$\lambda^2 + 3\lambda +1=0\\
\lambda_1=\frac{-3}{2}+\frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}\\
\lambda_2=\frac{-3}{2}-\frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}$$Assume a solution in the form$$x(t)=Ae^{\lambda_1 t} +Be^{\lambda_2 t}$$where A and B are constants. From your initial conditions you can solve for A and B. See http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/IntroSecondOrder.aspx

I took a simple problem which let me know the analytical solution because I want to use this solution to compare with the numerical one, for practicing proposes.

1. What is the Rational Chebyshev Collocation Method for Damped Harmonic Oscillator?

The Rational Chebyshev Collocation Method is a numerical technique used to solve the differential equation for a damped harmonic oscillator. It involves approximating the solution using a series of rational functions, which are then evaluated at specific collocation points.

2. How does the Rational Chebyshev Collocation Method work?

The method works by first transforming the differential equation into a system of algebraic equations using the Chebyshev polynomials. These equations are then solved using the collocation points, which are chosen to minimize the error in the approximation. The resulting rational functions are then used to approximate the solution to the original differential equation.

3. What are the advantages of using the Rational Chebyshev Collocation Method?

One advantage of this method is that it can provide highly accurate solutions for a wide range of damped harmonic oscillator problems. It is also computationally efficient, making it a popular choice for solving these types of equations. Additionally, the method is easy to implement and can handle systems of equations with multiple variables.

4. Are there any limitations to the Rational Chebyshev Collocation Method?

Like any numerical method, the Rational Chebyshev Collocation Method has its limitations. It may not be suitable for all types of damped harmonic oscillator problems, and the accuracy of the solution can be affected by the choice of collocation points. Additionally, the method may require a significant amount of computational resources for more complex problems.

5. How is the accuracy of the Rational Chebyshev Collocation Method evaluated?

The accuracy of the method can be evaluated by comparing the approximate solution to the exact solution, if known. Alternatively, the error can be estimated by comparing the results obtained using different numbers of collocation points. In general, the more collocation points used, the more accurate the solution will be.