Proving the Number of Nodes in a Full Binary Tree

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that a full binary tree with a certain number of leaves also has a specific number of nodes. The conversation goes on to use induction to prove this statement, starting with the simplest case and then showing how it applies to larger cases. The terms "full" and "complete" were originally used interchangeably, but it was later clarified that the conversation refers specifically to a full binary tree.
NuPowerbook
I need to prove that for any full binary tree with [tex]N\geq1[/tex] leaves, that it has [tex]2N-1[/tex] nodes. I can see this when looking at a tree, but I can't figure out how to prove this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll take a stab at it.

I would try proving by induction on N by letting P(N) be the statement that for a full binary tree with [tex]N\geq1[/tex] leaves, it has [tex]2N-1[/tex] nodes.

starting with the simplest case (a tree consisting of a single node) we'll prove P(1).
in this case #leaves = #nodes = 1.
hence P(1) = 2(1) - 1 and P(1) is a true statement.

now let's assume that P(k) is true for some integer k, where k is greater than or equal to 1.
If we can show that P(k) implies P(k+1) then were done with the proof.

What we want to prove: P(k+1) = 2(k+1) - 1 = 2k + 1

Proof: ( I'll use the notation FBT for "full binary tree" )

a FBT with k+1 leaves has the same number of nodes of a FBT with k leaves + 2.
( notice that you can't add just one node to a FBT for it to remain full )

therefore
P(k+1) = P(k) + 2
P(k+1) = (2k-1) + 2 <---- ( here we used the assumption that P(k) is true )
P(k+1) = 2k + 1

QED

EDIT: I looked up the definitions of both full and complete binary trees online, and realize that they are a little different, however the same argument applies. I went ahead and edited out the word "complete" and changed it to "full".

Last edited:
Thank you for the help.

What is a full binary tree?

A full binary tree is a type of binary tree data structure in which every node has either two children or no children. This means that every parent node in the tree has exactly two child nodes and no nodes are left empty.

How is a full binary tree different from other types of binary trees?

A full binary tree is different from other types of binary trees because it has a strict rule for the number of children each node can have. In a full binary tree, every node has either two children or no children, whereas in other types of binary trees, nodes can have any number of children.

How can you determine if a binary tree is full?

To determine if a binary tree is full, you can use the following criteria:

• If the root node is empty (null), the tree is full.
  • If a node has no children, it is a leaf node and the tree is full.
  • If a node has two children, both of those children must also have two children in order for the tree to be full.
  • If any of the above conditions are not met, the tree is not full.

What are the benefits of using a full binary tree?

Full binary trees have several benefits, including:

• Efficient storage: Full binary trees use the minimum amount of memory required for a binary tree with a given number of nodes, making them space-efficient.
  • Fast searching: Because of their balanced structure, full binary trees allow for efficient searching, with a time complexity of O(log n) for both insertion and retrieval.
  • Easy traversal: Traversing a full binary tree is straightforward, as every node has exactly two children.
  • Useful in sorting: Full binary trees can be used to efficiently sort data, making them useful in various algorithms and applications.

Can a binary tree be both full and complete?

Yes, a binary tree can be both full and complete. A complete binary tree is a type of binary tree in which every level, except possibly the last, is completely filled, and all nodes are as far left as possible. A full binary tree fits the criteria for a complete binary tree, as every node has either two children or no children.