Find a Servo Controller for Your Project

In summary: I need something that already incorporates trapazoidal feedback and speed limiting. If you know of a specific IC that meets this criteria, please let me know.In summary, Shucks Howdy y'all. Somebody out there might know where to find a servo controller IC, but it's not on the usual online sources.
faust9
Shucks Howdy y'all.

Well, I have to make a large servo (the motor will pull about 10 amps) which I can do using a PIC od an AVR; however, I'd like to get my hands on a dedicated servo controller if possible. Does anyone out there in internet land know where I can get my hands on a servor controller such as the DA6688 used by Futaba(they used to use this, not sure if they still do) or a Mitsubishi M51660L or a ZN409(419) or even an NE544. Any servor control IC would be great. I don't fell like designing a servo from scratch adding feedback circuitry for speed control and the whole 9 yards when these chips already exist.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks a bunch.

PS. I checked the usual sources: Newark, Allied, Mouser, Jameco--no luck.

[edit]Not looking for a circuit to control an existing servo. I need a brand new servo and was wondering if anyone knew of a source for the controller used to make said devices.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
willib said:
i didnt see google on that list.. its the first place i look..
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=servo+controller+ic

I did google. The first entrant is for Yost Engineering which manufacture controllers to control standard servos. I'm looking for an actual IC--either one of the one's I've listed or similar.

Servos are easy to control. Just make a 1 to 2mS pulse about every 20Ms and you're done. I'm looking for an intergrated solution that already incorporates trapazoidal feedback control and speed limiting when the position indicator nears its target.

This is more of what I'm looking for though this particular one is obsolete and runs abour 30euro for one(I can sit my lazy butt down and design a PIC/AVR one for $5): http://www.roboterwelt.de/info/sheet/zn409.pdf

I don't know. I'll probably end up hacking apart an old Futaba S148 for the controller and build a suitible H to control my motor.

Thanks for the response.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I didn't even see the replacement parts on the Yost site until just now. Thanks. The problem though is that the IC's offered by Yost are not what I'm looking for.

Related to Find a Servo Controller for Your Project

1. What is a servo controller and what does it do?

A servo controller is an electronic device that controls the movement of a servo motor. Servo motors are used in a variety of applications such as robotics, industrial automation, and hobby projects. The servo controller sends precise signals to the servo motor, allowing for precise control over its speed and position.

2. How do I choose the right servo controller for my project?

When choosing a servo controller, you should consider the number of channels you need, the power requirements of your servo motors, and the communication protocol that your project requires. You should also make sure that the servo controller is compatible with your microcontroller or computer.

3. What are the different types of servo controllers available?

There are two main types of servo controllers: analog and digital. Analog servo controllers use a potentiometer to send a varying voltage signal to the servo motor, while digital servo controllers use a pulse width modulation (PWM) signal to control the servo motor. There are also servo controllers with different numbers of channels, from single-channel to multi-channel controllers.

4. Can I use a servo controller with any type of servo motor?

No, you cannot use any type of servo controller with any type of servo motor. Servo controllers are designed to work with specific types of servo motors, so it is important to check the specifications of both the controller and the motor before purchasing.

5. How do I connect and program a servo controller?

The specific steps for connecting and programming a servo controller will vary depending on the type and model of the controller. However, in general, you will need to connect the controller to a power source and your microcontroller or computer, and then use the appropriate programming language or software to send commands to the controller. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and consult any available documentation for the specific controller you are using.