Best route to go for Nano Technology (but still be able to get a job?)

In summary, it is a good idea to major in electrical engineering and take programming and nanotechnology classes. There is a degree that allows you to do both at the same time, and it may be a good way to prepare for a career in nanotechnology.
Toonation
I want to go into nanotechnology but also keep my options open for employment purposes when I graduate.

At the moment I'm Chemistry & Material Science double major and I thought that'd be a good combo however at the moment I'm thinking, would MatSci for a B.S be oddly too specific for a B.S?

Is it better to just do Chemical Engineering and take a few solid state/MatSci classes on the side. Then either on the Masters or Ph.D level concentrate in Nanotech?

Also what are jobs like for nanotechnology at the moment/near future?Side Note: I noticed I do like computers seeing I built my own and the few java classes I took seemed really easy is there a way to work with nanotechnlogy with computers or will that require a Computer Engineering degree?

I noticed I'm using this forum a lot recently but this seems like the only place to get really great answers

:!)Thanks for the Replies:!)

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to tell us what you mean by "nanotechnology". It is one of those words that can mean anything from organic chemistry to electrical engineering.

f95toli said:
You need to tell us what you mean by "nanotechnology". It is one of those words that can mean anything from organic chemistry to electrical engineering.

I'm planing on doing nano tech more related to computers and things related to them. So yea closer to electrical engineering. I mean I'm thinking ChemE undergrad with a few classes geared towards that, followed by a more narrowed down degree on the masters (maybe PhD?) level will work because I still want to versatile so I though a ChemE B.S later in life would be something good to bank off of if I can't find a job in nano tech.

This is all speculation but I just wan others' opinions on it that's all.

It is relatively new and uncommon, but this is the closest thing I can think is what you are looking for: there's a degree called professional science master's in nanoscience. The degree supposedly allows students to continue on their study in the field while developing workplace skills highly valued by employers. In our school's program, prospective students must be in chemistry, physics, materials science/engineering, or electrical engineering. Our school groups materials science and materials engineering into a single discipline, so I believe that materials science curriculum wise doesn't differ too much from materials engineering, which is a legitimate and growing field.

Regarding your interest, if I were you I would major in electrical engineering and take as many programming/nanotechnology classes as I can. I think majoring in chemistry/chemical engineering doesn't prepare you enough for nanotechnology, as nanotech is a continuously evolving field and qualitative knowledge you learn from chemistry probably will not be as useful as practical skills you may learn in other engineering disciplines (perhaps lab techniques may be useful).

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in nanotechnology and for reaching out for advice on the best route to take for your education and career goals.

Firstly, it is important to note that nanotechnology is a highly interdisciplinary field and there are various paths that can lead to a career in this area. You have mentioned that you are currently a double major in Chemistry and Material Science, which is a great combination for pursuing nanotechnology. Material science is a fundamental part of nanotechnology and having a strong understanding of chemistry will also be beneficial. However, it is understandable that you may have concerns about the specificity of a material science degree for employment purposes.

In terms of your options, pursuing a degree in Chemical Engineering and taking some solid state/material science courses on the side could also be a good route to take. This will give you a strong foundation in both chemistry and engineering principles, which are essential for nanotechnology. Additionally, you can also choose to focus on nanotechnology at the graduate level, either through a Master's or Ph.D. program.

As for job opportunities in nanotechnology, they are constantly evolving and expanding. Some current and potential future job opportunities in this field include research and development, product design and development, quality control, and manufacturing. With the growing use of nanotechnology in various industries, the demand for professionals with expertise in this area is also increasing.

Regarding your interest in computers and whether it can be applied to nanotechnology, the answer is yes. Nanotechnology is a highly interdisciplinary field and involves the use of computers for simulations, data analysis, and design of nanoscale structures. However, a computer engineering degree may not be necessary, as you can acquire the necessary skills through courses and training in computer science and programming.

In summary, there are various paths you can take to pursue a career in nanotechnology, and it is important to choose the one that aligns with your interests and strengths. A strong background in chemistry, material science, and engineering principles will be valuable for a career in this field. I also recommend exploring internships, research opportunities, and networking events to gain practical experience and expand your knowledge in nanotechnology.

I hope this information helps you in making an informed decision. Best of luck in your academic and career pursuits!

1. What educational background is needed to pursue a career in Nano Technology?

Most positions in Nano Technology require at least a Bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as Physics, Chemistry, or Engineering. However, a Master's or PhD is highly preferred and may be necessary for more advanced or specialized roles.

2. Are there specific courses or areas of study that would be beneficial for a career in Nano Technology?

Courses in materials science, nanoscience, and nanotechnology will provide a strong foundation for a career in this field. Additionally, courses in physics, chemistry, and engineering will also be useful for understanding the principles and applications of Nano Technology.

3. What skills are important for a successful career in Nano Technology?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are crucial for working in Nano Technology. Attention to detail and the ability to think critically are also important. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills are necessary for collaborating with colleagues and presenting research findings.

4. What industries and job opportunities are available in the field of Nano Technology?

Nano Technology is a rapidly growing field and there are opportunities in various industries such as healthcare, electronics, energy, and materials science. Job titles may include research scientist, nanotechnology engineer, materials scientist, or process engineer.

5. How can I stay updated and advance in the field of Nano Technology?

Attending conferences, workshops, and seminars related to Nano Technology can help you stay updated on the latest advancements and research in the field. Networking with professionals in the industry and pursuing additional education or certifications can also help you advance in your career.