Equation for S from state func and C

• Thread starter gulsen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    State
In summary, the equation for entropy can be derived using the relevant Maxwell relations and the state function V(T,P) = Aexp(aT-bP). By using the equations dU = TdS - PdV and \frac{\partial S}{\partial V}_T = \frac{\partial P}{\partial T}_V, the equation for entropy can be solved with an integration factor. However, this may not be accurate as it does not incorporate the expansion of the liquid.
gulsen
Heat capacity of a liquid is [tex]C=T^4[/tex] and the state function is [tex]V(T,P) = Aexp(aT-bP)[/tex]
Derive an equation for entropy. Use the relevant Maxwell relations.

[tex]dU = T dS - PdV[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}_V = C = T^4 \Rightarrow U = \frac{T^5}{5} + f(V)[/tex]
Since it's a liquid, and there're no separate [tex]C_V[/tex] and [tex]C_P[/tex], I assumed that expansion can be ignored, so [tex]dU \approx TdS[/tex] and
[tex]dS = \frac{dU}{T} = T^3 dT[/tex]

but it's unlikely to be true since I haven't used the state function or Maxwell relation at all. My assumption is probably wrong. Anyone solve the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Solved it.That equation I wrote will have an integration factor [tex]f(V)[/tex].
Using [tex]\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}_T = \frac{\partial P}{\partial T}_V[/tex], we have the solution for S, this time with an integration factor of T. By compraison of these two statements of S, it's perfectly defined.

FAQ: Equation for S from state func and C

1. What is the equation for calculating S from state function and C?

The equation for calculating S from state function and C is S = C/T, where S is the entropy, C is the heat capacity, and T is the temperature.

2. What does the state function represent in the equation for S from state function and C?

The state function represents the thermodynamic state of a system at a specific point in time. It is a property of the system that depends only on its current state, and not on the path taken to reach that state.

3. How is the equation for S from state function and C used in thermodynamics?

The equation for S from state function and C is used to calculate the change in entropy of a system when there is a change in temperature or heat capacity. It is an important tool in understanding and predicting the behavior of thermodynamic systems.

4. Can the equation for S from state function and C be applied to all thermodynamic systems?

Yes, the equation for S from state function and C can be applied to all thermodynamic systems, as long as the system obeys the laws of thermodynamics and has a defined temperature and heat capacity.

5. How does the equation for S from state function and C relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The equation for S from state function and C is derived from the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of an isolated system always increases over time. This equation provides a quantitative way of calculating the change in entropy of a system, in accordance with the second law.

Back