Specified equation of state from heat capacity

In summary, the constant-volume heat capacity of a particular simple system is c_v = AT^3, where A is a constant and the equation of state is known to be of the form (v-v_0)p = B(T) where B(T) is an unspecified function of T. Evaluate the permissible functional form of B(T).
Dazed&Confused

Homework Statement

The constant-volume heat capacity of a particular simple system is [tex]
c_v = AT^3 [/tex]
where A is a constant. In addition the equation of state is known to be of the form
[tex]
(v-v_0)p = B(T)
[/tex]
where [itex]B(T)[/itex] is an unspecified function of T. Evaluate the permissible functional form of [itex]B(T)[/itex].

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

So we have
[tex]
{\frac{\partial S}{\partial v}}
_U = \frac{B(T)}{T(v-v_0)}[/tex]
and
[tex]
{\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}}_v = AT^2
[/tex]
I apply the first derivative to the second equation and vice versa. I equate and get
[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial T} \left ( \frac{B(T)}{T} \right) \frac{1}{v-v_0} = 2A T {\frac{\partial T}{\partial v}}_u
[/tex]
The rightmost term can be rewritten as
[tex]
{\frac{\partial T}{\partial v}}_u = -\frac{ {\frac{\partial u}{\partial v}}_T}{{\frac{\partial u}{\partial T}}_v} = -\frac{T \frac{\partial s}{\partial v}_T - p}{c_v}= -\frac{T \frac{\partial p}{\partial T}_v - p}{c_v}[/tex] so that
[tex]
\frac{2}{T^2} \left [ -\frac{T B'(T)}{v-v_0} + \frac{B(T)}{v-v_0} \right] = \frac{\partial}{\partial T} \left ( \frac{B(T)}{T} \right) \frac{1}{v-v_0}
[/tex]
which I solve for [itex]B(T)[/itex] and get [itex]B(T) = ET [/itex] with [itex]E[/itex] a constant. Now
[tex]
c_p = c_v + \frac{Tv\alpha^2}{\kappa_T}
[/tex]
where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the isobaric compressability with temperature and [itex]\kappa_T[/itex] is the isothermal compressability with pressure. Thus with
[tex]
v = \frac{B(T)}{p} + v_0
[/tex]
this should equal (I think) to
[tex]
c_v + T \left(\frac{\partial V }{\partial T}_p\right)^2\left/\right. \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial p}\right)_T =c_v+ T\frac{B'(T)^2}{B(T)}
[/tex]
which in my case would be simply [itex]c_v + E[/itex]. The answers give
[tex]
c_v + (T^3/DT + E)
[/tex].
Now when solving for their [itex]B(T)[/itex] I get a very complicated expression. I do not see where my mistake lies, except I am not 100% sure if the two partial derivatives I had at the beginning commute.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that it might be easier to start with the Maxwell relationship: $$\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial v}\right)_T=\left(\frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right)_v$$

Likes Dazed&Confused
That's definitely a good idea! Integrating [itex]c_v/T[/itex] we find
[tex]
s = \frac{AT^3}{3} +f(v) [/tex]
for some f. Then with the Maxwell relation
[tex]
f'(v) = \frac{B'(T)}{v-v_0}
[/tex]
which means that [itex]B'(T) = E[/itex] for some E. So this confirms what I found before (much more easily).

I would have done it a little differently: $$dS=AT^2dT+\frac{B'(T)}{v-v_0}dv$$So,
$$\frac{\partial^2 S}{\partial T \partial v}=\frac{\partial^2 S}{\partial v \partial T}=\frac{\partial}{\partial v}(AT^2)=0=\frac{\partial }{\partial T}\left(\frac{B'(T)}{v-v_0}\right)=\frac{B''(T)}{v-v_0}$$So, $$B''(T) = 0$$So, B(T) is a linear function of T.

Likes Dazed&Confused
Maybe it was too late for me to be posting before but my first method misses the extra constant you'd get.

What is a specified equation of state from heat capacity?

A specified equation of state from heat capacity is a mathematical relationship that describes the relationship between temperature, pressure, and volume of a substance based on its heat capacity, which is the amount of heat required to raise its temperature by a certain amount.

Why is it important to have a specified equation of state from heat capacity?

Having a specified equation of state from heat capacity allows scientists to accurately predict and understand the behavior of a substance under different temperature and pressure conditions. It also helps in the design and optimization of industrial processes and equipment.

How is a specified equation of state from heat capacity determined?

A specified equation of state from heat capacity is determined through experiments and data analysis. The heat capacity of a substance is measured at different temperatures and pressures, and this data is used to fit a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between temperature, pressure, and volume.

What factors can affect a specified equation of state from heat capacity?

The heat capacity of a substance can be affected by various factors including temperature, pressure, and the molecular structure of the substance. Other external factors such as impurities or phase changes can also impact the accuracy of the specified equation of state.

Can a specified equation of state from heat capacity be used for all substances?

No, a specified equation of state from heat capacity is specific to a particular substance or class of substances. Different substances have different molecular structures and properties, therefore requiring their own unique equations of state based on their heat capacity data.