Electric Field between two infinite sheets of Opposite charge.

In summary, the problem involves two infinite sheets of charge, one positive and one negative, with charge densities of alpha and -alpha respectively. The task is to determine the direction and magnitude of the electric field at four points on the same line: two outside the sheets of charge, one near the positive sheet of charge (from the inside), and one in the center of the two sheets. The electric field on the outside points will be towards the positive sheet of charge and away from the negative sheet of charge. The electric field at the center point will be in the -x direction due to the cancellation of y components, but the magnitude cannot be determined without the distance between the sheets. Near the positive sheet of charge (from the inside), the
Hells_Kitchen

Homework Statement

I am having trouble with an E&M conceptual problem. Suppose we have two sheets of infinite charge, one positive and one negative (the positive is left of the negative and they have charge densities given respectively alpha and - alpha.). The problem asks to find the direction and magnitude of the electric field at 4 points in the same line, 2 points outside the sheets of charge, 1 near the positive sheet of charge (from the inside) and 1 in the center of the two infinite sheets of charge.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, i know that the direction of the electric field on the outside will be towards the positive sheet of charge and away from the negative sheet of charge. What about the magnitude?

In the center the E-field should be in the -x direction since the y components cancel out but still i can't find the magnitude because there is no distance between them given.

Lastly near the positive sheet of charge(from the inside) i think the e-field should be in the -x direction with a lesser magnitude than in the center.

I am not sure how to get the magnitudes without the distance separation between them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Hells_Kitchen,

Hells_Kitchen said:

Homework Statement

I am having trouble with an E&M conceptual problem. Suppose we have two sheets of infinite charge, one positive and one negative (the positive is left of the negative and they have charge densities given respectively alpha and - alpha.). The problem asks to find the direction and magnitude of the electric field at 4 points in the same line, 2 points outside the sheets of charge, 1 near the positive sheet of charge (from the inside) and 1 in the center of the two infinite sheets of charge.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, i know that the direction of the electric field on the outside will be towards the positive sheet of charge and away from the negative sheet of charge. What about the magnitude?

In the center the E-field should be in the -x direction since the y components cancel out but still i can't find the magnitude because there is no distance between them given.

Lastly near the positive sheet of charge(from the inside) i think the e-field should be in the -x direction with a lesser magnitude than in the center.

I am not sure how to get the magnitudes without the distance separation between them.

What is the formula for the electric field of an infinite sheet of charge?

E = charge density/ epsilon zero. Well that might be the magnitude for the outside points what about for the center and the point inside (in between the sheets)

Hells_Kitchen said:
E = charge density/ epsilon zero. Well that might be the magnitude for the outside points what about for the center and the point inside (in between the sheets)

That's not be the total magnitude for outside points. That formula is the electric field from a single sheet of charge. To find the total field at a single point, you'll need to add the two separate electric field vectors.

So look at some point between the sheets first. What is the electric field at that point from the positive sheet? (magnitude and direction) What about from the negative sheet? Once you have the magnitude and direction of the two individual vectors, what is their vector sum?

What is an electric field between two infinite sheets of opposite charge?

An electric field between two infinite sheets of opposite charge is a region in which electrically charged particles experience a force. The force is exerted due to the presence of two parallel sheets with opposite charges.

What is the direction of the electric field between two infinite sheets of opposite charge?

The direction of the electric field between two infinite sheets of opposite charge is perpendicular to the sheets. This means that the electric field lines are parallel to each other and perpendicular to the sheets.

How does the electric field vary between two infinite sheets of opposite charge?

The electric field between two infinite sheets of opposite charge varies linearly with distance. This means that the further away from the sheets, the weaker the electric field becomes. The electric field also varies with the magnitude of the charges on the sheets.

What is the formula for calculating the electric field between two infinite sheets of opposite charge?

The formula for calculating the electric field between two infinite sheets of opposite charge is E = σ/2ε0, where σ is the surface charge density and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

Can the electric field between two infinite sheets of opposite charge be zero?

Yes, the electric field between two infinite sheets of opposite charge can be zero at certain points. These points are located midway between the sheets and form a region of zero electric field known as the neutral point.