Blackbodies - Wien's Law and Planck's Radiation Formula

In summary, the values obtained from Planck's Radiation law and Wien's Law may appear to be slightly different due to the difference in significant figures. When comparing two numbers, the number of significant figures is crucial in determining their accuracy. The constants used in Wien's law have only two significant figures while the constants in Planck's equation have four significant figures. When comparing results, it is important to round all numbers to the same number of significant figures for accurate comparison.
lachy

Homework Statement

I have been given Planck's Radiation law and Wien's Law, and need to say whether the values produced from both are the same or different.

Homework Equations

Planck's Equation:
2ih09iu.jpg

Wien's Law:
js0cv7.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I have completed the task of inserting data and graphing it but cannot figure it out. Here is what I have done so far but I cannot figure out the reasons why the values and graphs would be slightly different. The Planck wavelength values are from another spreadsheet which have been generated using Planck's radiation formula:

k2jur.jpg

I would appreciated your help :)

-Lachlan

Physics news on Phys.org
It is all right within 1 significant digits. Can not you read lambda(max) with a bit higher accuracy? It would be better to write out the data with 2 significant digits in normal form without that lot of zeros.

ehild

Thank you for replying :)
Yes but they are two formulae that show the same thing - surely there should not be any anomalies with the data if it is all consistent? What I mean is, it shouldn't matter how many significant figures - it should all work out shouldn't it?

Yes, but your lambda(max) values obtained from Planck's law are very inaccurate. If you determine them with 2 significant digits, the values will be closer.

ehild

lachy said:
Thank you for replying :)
Yes but they are two formulae that show the same thing - surely there should not be any anomalies with the data if it is all consistent? What I mean is, it shouldn't matter how many significant figures - it should all work out shouldn't it?
Whenever you compare two numbers, practically speaking, the number of significant figures is crucial in determining whether they are equal or not. After all, that's the whole point of significant figures, isn't it?

The constant you have in Wien's law has only two sig figs, so your answers are only good to two sig figs. The constants for Planck's equation have four sig figs, so your answers from it are good to four sig figs. When you compare the results, you're limited by the least precise numbers, so you should round all the figures to two significant figures and then compare them. In your speadsheet, you've actually done the opposite. You've kept more digits than you should have from the Wien's law results and thrown out all but one digit from the Planck results. It's not surprising they don't appear to match (though as ehild noted in his first post, if you round the Wien's law results to one significant figure like you did to the Planck numbers, the results are consistent).

1. What is a blackbody?

A blackbody is an idealized object that absorbs all radiation that falls on it and emits thermal radiation. It is also known as a perfect radiator or an ideal emitter.

2. What is Wien's Law and how is it related to blackbodies?

Wien's Law states that the wavelength at which a blackbody emits the most radiation is inversely proportional to its absolute temperature. This means that as the temperature of a blackbody increases, the peak of its emission shifts to shorter wavelengths.

3. What is Planck's Radiation Formula and how is it used in the study of blackbodies?

Planck's Radiation Formula is a mathematical equation that describes the spectral density of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a blackbody at a certain temperature. It is used to calculate the amount and distribution of radiation emitted by a blackbody at different wavelengths.

4. Does everything emit thermal radiation like a blackbody?

Yes, all objects emit some form of thermal radiation. However, only blackbodies emit thermal radiation at a consistent rate and in a continuous spectrum, making them an important concept in the study of thermodynamics and physics.

5. How does Wien's Law and Planck's Radiation Formula relate to the study of astrophysics?

Both Wien's Law and Planck's Radiation Formula are used in the study of astrophysics to understand the properties and behavior of stars and other celestial objects. By analyzing the thermal radiation emitted by these objects, scientists can determine their temperature, composition, and other important characteristics.