How Do You Sketch Re(iz) = 3 in Complex Number Plane?

• Thread starter JC3187
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sketch
In summary, the conversation discusses how to sketch the equation Re(iz) = 3 and the result is that the real axis is -3. However, there is some confusion about drawing the sketch of iz instead of z, and clarification is provided that the imaginary part of z should be -3. The conversation then moves on to discuss another question, Re(z+2) = -1, and the conclusion is that the real axis would be -3.
JC3187
Hi guys,
So as title states, how would one sketch Re(iz) = 3? And an explanation would be splendid.

This is what I thought:

let z = a + bi
i(a+bi) = -b + ai

Therefore: Re(iz) = -b = 3

So Real axis = -3?

Or would it be Real axis = 3
Since iz is an arbitrary complex number and the real part of this arbitrary complex number is 3.

Physics news on Phys.org
JC3187 said:
Hi guys,
So as title states, how would one sketch Re(iz) = 3? And an explanation would be splendid.

This is what I thought:

let z = a + bi
i(a+bi) = -b + ai

Therefore: Re(iz) = -b = 3

So Real axis = -3?
What does this mean? What you have found is that if z = a + bi, the condition that Re(iz) = 3 is that z = a - 3i. What does this look like?
JC3187 said:
Or would it be Real axis = 3
Since iz is an arbitrary complex number and the real part of this arbitrary complex number is 3.
No, the imaginary part has to be -3.

Thanks for your reply, though I am still a little confused.

Could you go through the working please?

You are drawing a sketch of z, not of iz.

b is the imaginary part of z.

Of course -b is also the real part of iz, but you are not drawing a sketch of iz.

JC3187 said:
Thanks for your reply, though I am still a little confused.
What part are you confused about?
JC3187 said:
Could you go through the working please?
That's not how it works here, as listed in the rules (click Rules & Guidelines, under SITE INFO in the menu bar, especially the section titled Homework Help Guidelines).

I think i understand, so would this be correct for the following question:

Re(z+2) = -1

-3 in the real axis?

Related to How Do You Sketch Re(iz) = 3 in Complex Number Plane?

1. How do I sketch Re(iz) = 3?

The first step in sketching Re(iz) = 3 is to understand the meaning of this notation. Re(iz) represents the real part of the complex number iz. So, Re(iz) = 3 means that the real part of iz is equal to 3. To sketch this, you can plot the point (0,3) on the y-axis, as the real axis is represented by the x-axis in the complex plane.

2. What is the significance of the "i" in Re(iz)?

The "i" in Re(iz) indicates that the complex number iz is being multiplied by the imaginary unit, i. This results in the real part of iz being represented by the y-axis in the complex plane, as opposed to the traditional x-axis. This notation is commonly used in mathematics and physics to represent complex numbers.

3. How does the value of "z" affect the sketch of Re(iz) = 3?

The value of z does not affect the sketch of Re(iz) = 3, as it is simply a placeholder for a complex number. The only thing that matters is the value of the real part of iz, which is represented by the number 3 in this equation.

4. Can you explain the concept of a complex plane in relation to Re(iz) = 3?

The complex plane is a two-dimensional graph where the horizontal axis represents the real part of a complex number and the vertical axis represents the imaginary part. In the case of Re(iz) = 3, the real part of iz is represented by the y-axis, so the point (0,3) is plotted on the complex plane.

5. Are there any other ways to represent Re(iz) = 3?

Yes, there are other ways to represent Re(iz) = 3. One way is to write it as Re(x + iy) = 3, where x and y are the real and imaginary parts of the complex number respectively. Another way is to write it as Re(iz) = Re(3i), which means that the real part of iz is equal to the real part of the complex number 3i.