Help Checking a Complex Numbers Problems

In summary, WolframAlpha was able to find that z=−5+3iz=−5+3i has a principal argument of 2.60 radians. They were also able to find that z=sin(8t)+i(1−cos(8t)) has an arg(z) of 4t and a mod(z) of √((sin(8t))2+((1−cos(8t)2)((sin(8t))2+((1−cos(8t)2))))
jisbon
Homework Statement
Various Complex Number Questions
Relevant Equations
NIL
Hello, here with some complex number questions which I need some assistance in checking :)

1)
z=3+5i1+3iz=3+5i1+3i
Find Re(z) and Im(z)
My answer is 9595 and −25−25 respectively.

Checked by Wolfram
2)
Find principal argument of the complex numberz=−5+3iz=−5+3i and express it in radians up to 2 decimal places
My answer is 2.60

Checked by Wolfram
3)
z=sin(8t)+i(1−cos(8t))z=sin(8t)+i(1−cos(8t))
Find arg(z) and mod(z) in terms in t
Since mod(z) is just the root of a square + b square, the answer is as follows.
As for arg(z),
1567152109337.png

My answer is 4t and √((sin(8t))2+((1−cos(8t)2)((sin(8t))2+((1−cos(8t)2)

4)
Let z be complex number with Re(z) = 1/2 and mod z = 1
Evaluate (1+iz)(1+¯¯¯z2)1−i¯¯¯z(1+iz)(1+z¯2)1−iz¯
1567152442431.png

My answer is 1i

5)
Find value of z such as mod z - z =3+ 9i
1567152581360.png

My answer is 12-9i

6)
Find z that satisfies z2+7¯¯¯z=0
1567163262063.png

z2+7z¯=0
My answer is 72+7√32i72+732i

7)
Suppose z is a non-zero complex number satisfying (8+i)z=(8−i)¯¯¯z(8+i)z=(8−i)z¯ Find ratio of Im(z)/Re(z)
1567152847485.png

My answer is -1/8

8)
If z = a+ib, and is a solution to z2−z+4=0z2−z+4=0 , find a and b
My answer is 0.5 and √152152
Checked by Wolfram

Attachments

• 1567152378336.png
    1567152378336.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 248
  • 1567152712324.png
    1567152712324.png
    103 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1 and 2 seem correct to me.
for 3 I have my doubts about arg(z)
for 4 I found the expression to be simpy i.
5 seems correct to me.

Delta2 said:
1 and 2 seem correct to me.
for 3 I have my doubts about arg(z)
for 4 I found the expression to be simpy i.
5 seems correct to me.
Updated 4 and 3 with workings :)

Glad we agreed for 4. Easiest way to do it if you know the relations that ##z+\bar{z}=2Re(z)## and ##z\bar{z}=|z|^2## without the need to calculate the imaginary part of z.

For 3 seems you were correct afterall, I completely forgot that trigonometric identity .
7 seems also correct to me.

You should repost the statement and work on 6 cause something is wrong there...

Last edited:
Delta2 said:
Glad we agreed for 4. Easiest way to do it if you know the relations that ##z+\bar{z}=2Re(z)## and ##z\bar{z}=|z|^2## without the need to calculate the imaginary part of z.

For 3 seems you were correct afterall, I completely forgot that trigonometric identity .
7 seems also correct to me.

You should repost the statement and work on 6 cause something is wrong there...
uploaded :)

I find your typed formulas to be incomprehensible. There are many unbalanced parentheses, run-on formulas that I can't tell if they are new equations, etc. If you want serious help, then you should make a better effort to make your questions readable.

FactChecker said:
I find your typed formulas to be incomprehensible. There are many unbalanced parentheses, run-on formulas that I can't tell if they are new equations, etc. If you want serious help, then you should make a better effort to make your questions readable.
Yep I understand. For some reason, whenever I try to edit some of the stuff below, the equations in the area above seems to glitch out and repeats itself :/ Not sure what is happening.

What are complex numbers and why are they important in science?

Complex numbers are numbers that include both real and imaginary components. They are important in science because they allow us to represent and manipulate quantities that cannot be expressed with regular real numbers. They are extensively used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

How do I check if a complex number problem is correct?

To check if a complex number problem is correct, you can follow these steps: 1) Perform the operations in the problem and simplify the expression. 2) Use the rules of complex numbers to check if the simplified expression is equivalent to the given problem. 3) If the expressions are equal, then the problem is correct.

What are the common operations performed with complex numbers?

The common operations performed with complex numbers include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations are similar to those performed with real numbers, but they also take into account the imaginary component of the numbers.

What is the difference between the real and imaginary components of a complex number?

The real component of a complex number is the part that can be represented on the real number line. It is denoted by the letter 'a' in the complex number a + bi. The imaginary component, denoted by 'bi', represents the part of the number that is expressed in terms of the imaginary unit, i. It is perpendicular to the real number line and cannot be plotted on it.

Are there any tips for simplifying complex number expressions?

Yes, there are some tips that can help simplify complex number expressions. These include: 1) Remember the rules for combining real and imaginary numbers. 2) Use the distributive property to expand expressions. 3) Simplify and combine like terms. 4) Be careful when working with exponents and radicals. These tips can help you simplify complex number expressions and avoid common mistakes.