Linear Algebra Help: Reduce Matrix & Find Error

In summary: Thanks! I am really happy you say that. I had gotten to that conclusion yesterday and I thought it was wrong. So how does my revision look?
JohnPrior3
So I had a quiz on Wednesday and got the problem wrong but don't know why. The question is:

Use elementary row operations to reduce the matrix

A= 3 1 -1
2 3 1
-4 0 2

to upper-triangular form. Each of these elementary row operations should have the form Ri :=Ri-likRk where lil is an appropriate multiplier. Show the values of each of the ilk's and the order in which each of the elementary row operations is applied. (For this exercise, do not interchange any rows.)

Hint: When you are done, the product of the three pivots should be -2.

I had l21= 2/3 and did R2:= R3=2/3R1 and and then did l31=-4/3 R3:=-R3-(-4/3)R1

My matrix at the end was
3 1 -1
0 7/3 5/3
0 0 2/3

Which is upper triangular form, but incorrect. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't the determinants be the same? They are not! In any case you didn't finish. Following what you did the third row is (0,4/3,2/3).

mathman said:
Shouldn't the determinants be the same? They are not! In any case you didn't finish. Following what you did the third row is (0,4/3,2/3).
Then how would I get the upper triangular system? I know I am supposed to have three pivots, but I don't know how to take three such that the product would be -2.

[tex]A= \begin{bmatrix}3 & 1 & -1 \\ 2 & 3 & 1 \\ -4 & 0 & 2 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

You want "0"s below the "3" in the first column so subtract 2/3 times the first row from the second row and add 4/3 times the first row from the third row. That gives
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}3 & 1 & -1 \\ 0 & 7/3 & 5/3 \\ 0 & 4/3 & 2/3 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Now you want a "0" below the "7/3" in the second column so subtract (4/3)/(7/3)= 4/7 times the second row from the third row. 2/3- (4/7)(5/3)= 14/21- 20/21= -6/21= -2/7, not 2/3. It looks like you just forgot to do that final subtraction!

HallsofIvy said:
[tex]A= \begin{bmatrix}3 & 1 & -1 \\ 2 & 3 & 1 \\ -4 & 0 & 2 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

You want "0"s below the "3" in the first column so subtract 2/3 times the first row from the second row and add 4/3 times the first row from the third row. That gives
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}3 & 1 & -1 \\ 0 & 7/3 & 5/3 \\ 0 & 4/3 & 2/3 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Now you want a "0" below the "7/3" in the second column so subtract (4/3)/(7/3)= 4/7 times the second row from the third row. 2/3- (4/7)(5/3)= 14/21- 20/21= -6/21= -2/7, not 2/3. It looks like you just forgot to do that final subtraction!
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1410709456.427315.jpg

Thanks! I am really happy you say that. I had gotten to that conclusion yesterday and I thought it was wrong. So how does my revision look?

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, matrices, and vector spaces. It involves the use of algebraic operations to solve systems of linear equations and analyze geometric transformations.

2. How can linear algebra help reduce matrices?

Linear algebra provides various methods for reducing matrices, such as row operations, Gaussian elimination, and LU decomposition. These methods can simplify a matrix and make it easier to work with, especially when solving systems of linear equations.

3. Can linear algebra help find errors in matrices?

Yes, linear algebra can help identify errors in matrices through various techniques, such as using determinants to check for invertibility or using the trace to check for symmetry. Additionally, solving systems of linear equations can also help identify errors in matrices.

4. How can linear algebra be applied in real-world problems?

Linear algebra has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It can be used to model and analyze real-world systems, such as electrical circuits, economic markets, and computer graphics.

5. What are some common challenges when learning linear algebra?

Some common challenges when learning linear algebra include understanding abstract concepts, memorizing complex formulas, and applying theoretical knowledge to practical problems. It is important to practice and seek help when needed to overcome these challenges.