Should I take grade 11 physics?

In summary, the original poster is wondering if they should take grade 11 physics even though they are not planning on studying it in university. They have just finished grade 10 physics and found it easy, but their classmates and teacher made it difficult to understand. They are curious if the material in grade 11 physics will be harder than what they have already learned. The conversation also touches on the usefulness of physics in different fields and the value of taking additional physics courses in high school. Ultimately, the general consensus is that physics will get more challenging as you progress through high school and into college, and it may be beneficial to take additional courses to solidify understanding and develop valuable problem-solving skills.
caprija
I've basically just finished grade 10 physics, I didn't find it all that hard. The problem also was that me and some of my classmates felt the teacher wasn't teaching that well, which made it a little harder to understand.

Basically my questions is should I take it in grade 11, even though I'm not taking it in university.

I just learned about vectors, scalars, displacement, velocity, acceleration ect.
(For the people in different countries) this is the Canadian grade 10 physics cirriculum. Does the sutff that comes after this get harder?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course it will get harder. Highschool physics was a joke and was algebra based, not calculus. Even if its easy, the more experience the better once you get to college.

I think it'd be a good subject to take, especially if you aren't taking mathematics.

It is normally the second time around with a subject that confort and a solid like or dislike comes out of the subject.

The original poster asked if physics gets harder...well that would be a matter of interpretation. I wouldn't say it gets harder, nor would I say it gets easier, it just seems to continously add a little bit more information at a time, and coupled with your past experance it allows you to actually grasp the new information and play with it.

Since you don't plan on studying the subject in university, I would say that is an excellent reason to take the course. It will solidify your decision, and will help you build both studying and problem solving habits which will aid you in university.

Caprija said:
I've basically just finished grade 10 physics, I didn't find it all that hard. The problem also was that me and some of my classmates felt the teacher wasn't teaching that well, which made it a little harder to understand.

Basically my questions is should I take it in grade 11, even though I'm not taking it in university.

I just learned about vectors, scalars, displacement, velocity, acceleration ect.
(For the people in different countries) this is the Canadian grade 10 physics cirriculum. Does the sutff that comes after this get harder?

Thanks in advance
I have completed IB physics in Canada, and I can tell you that grade 10 physics is a joke. In the span of high school, things get a bit harder and a lot more interesting by the time you reach grade 12 physics. It still doesn’t get very mathematically rigorous until university, which should make it more interesting when you get to doing physics with calculus.

I found grade 11 physics to be pretty dry for the most part, so don't base your opinion of physics on the grade 10 and 11 courses.

What do you plan on doing for a living

Ki Man said:
What do you plan on doing for a living
Well thanks for responses guys!

Ki Man - I plan to do something in biology.

Hmm not sure if High school physics will really tie into biology unless you go into biophys or something in that field. Whatever classes you feel will be most usefull to your future, take them

If you are a biology major, you will have to take some mechanics physics class at almost all colleges.

1. Should I take grade 11 physics?

The decision to take grade 11 physics ultimately depends on your individual interests and goals. If you are interested in pursuing a career in a STEM field or have a strong interest in understanding the fundamental laws of the universe, then taking grade 11 physics would be beneficial.

2. How difficult is grade 11 physics?

The difficulty of grade 11 physics will vary for each individual. However, it is generally considered to be a challenging subject due to the complex concepts and mathematical calculations involved. It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry before taking this course.

3. What topics are covered in grade 11 physics?

Grade 11 physics typically covers topics such as motion, forces, energy, waves, and electricity. It also introduces students to basic concepts in mechanics, thermodynamics, and optics. Some schools may also include an introduction to modern physics and atomic structure.

4. Do I need to have a background in science to take grade 11 physics?

While it may be helpful to have a basic understanding of scientific concepts, it is not necessary to have a background in science to take grade 11 physics. The course will cover all the necessary fundamentals and is designed for students with no prior knowledge of physics.

5. How can taking grade 11 physics benefit me?

Taking grade 11 physics can benefit you in many ways. It can improve your critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as your understanding of the physical world. It can also open up opportunities for future studies and careers in STEM fields such as engineering, physics, astronomy, and more.