Chemistry For engineers: thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about converting chemical energy to electrical energy through combustion and determining the amount of coal needed to run a reading lamp for two hours. The equation for the combustion of carbon is mentioned, along with the need to look up the enthalpy of the reaction. The final answer is found by using the equation E = time * power, dividing by 30% efficiency, and setting up a proportion with the weight of carbon in grams, which is then converted to pounds.
nboyd1
[SOLVED] Chemistry For engineers: thermodynamics

I was given a question: Reasonable efficiency for converting chemical energy to electrical energy via combustion is 30%. Calculate the how many pounds of coal must be burned to run your reading lamp for two hours. Atypical reading lamp has a 75-W bulb. Assume that coal is pure graphite. ( 1W=1J/s)

Yo be honest this is nothing like the examples given in class of even in the book. I'm not sure what where to even begin, which equation to use. My intial instinct was it should be a heat capacity equation, but I don't know how the other information relates or how to calculate that given this information.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by writing the equation for the combustion of carbon (graphite to be exact). You will need to look up the enthalpy of the reaction.

chemisttree said:
Start by writing the equation for the combustion of carbon (graphite to be exact). You will need to look up the enthalpy of the reaction.

i think i got the answer. i found delta h for the reaction then used E=time*power, the divind by 30 percent and setting up a proportion with weight of carbon to get the number of grams and finally converted to pounds

1. What is thermodynamics in chemistry?

Thermodynamics is the branch of chemistry that deals with the study of energy and its transformations, as well as the relationships between different forms of energy and matter.

2. Why is thermodynamics important for engineers?

Thermodynamics is important for engineers because it helps them understand and predict how energy will behave in various systems, which is crucial in designing and optimizing processes and technologies.

3. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy in a system. They include the first law, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted, and the second law, which states that the total entropy (disorder) of a closed system will always increase over time.

4. How does thermodynamics relate to chemical reactions?

Thermodynamics is essential in understanding and predicting the direction and extent of chemical reactions. It helps determine whether a reaction will occur spontaneously (exothermic) or require energy input (endothermic), as well as the amount of energy released or absorbed.

5. How can engineers apply thermodynamics in their work?

Engineers can use thermodynamics to optimize processes, improve energy efficiency, and design new technologies. They can also use it to determine the stability of materials and predict the behavior of systems under different conditions.