MS in Physics after BS in EE/ Physics cirriculum.

• Physics
  • Thread starter Peon666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee Physics
In summary: As for your suggestions, I've already used the search function and found some helpful threads. I also appreciate your advice on graduate school and the importance of taking classes rather than just reading books. I'll definitely keep that in mind.I apologize if I came across as entitled or impatient in my previous messages. Thank you for the reality check, I'll make sure to be more thorough in my research in the future.In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a graduate degree in physics after completing an undergraduate degree in telecommunications engineering. The conversation also touches on the best textbooks for studying undergraduate physics and the importance of taking classes rather than just reading books. There is also a mention of the difference between being accepted into graduate school and being prepared for
Peon666
1- I'm currently an undergrad in Telecommunication eingineering. But I'm very much interested in theoretical physics. Can I go for MS and Phd in Physics after engineering? I've taken some physics courses during engineering and also done a lot of self study.

2- I would like to know some best textbooks used in top universities in undergraduation Physics. What whould Physics guys suggest? I'm currently using "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday/Resnick/Krain. Is that good? Any other textbooks? Is the level of physics used in this text enough for undergrad?

Thanks-.

Physics news on Phys.org
24 views and no reply? Hello?

I'm so sorry that we haven't dropped everything that's been happening in our own lives to immediately respond. After all, it's not like we are volunteers or anything. No...we exist only to serve you. I mean, you poor dear - it was almost 36 hours between your first and second posts. However did you stand the uncertainty?

If you had used the search function, or posted in the right section, you would have seen many threads asking the same question. Of course, why read a stale old answer than might be as much as a week old?

So I have two pieces of advice. One is the usual. Graduate school requires an undergraduate degree in the same field, or you somehow have to catch up, a process which can take a year or two. Reading a few books won't do it - you need to take the classes. The book you indicate doesn't exist: there is Physics by Halliday, Resnick and Krane, and there is Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick and Walker.

The other is that if you attend graduate school with this combination of entitlement, impatience and inattention to detail, your time there will be remarkably unpleasant. And likely short.

Thanks for your 'valuable' comments.

Anyways, I e-mailed Harvard deparment of Physics a few days back and they said thay DO accept applicants from Electrical Engineering for MS in Physics.

Anyone with more reliable information?

Peon666 said:
1- I'm currently an undergrad in Telecommunication eingineering. But I'm very much interested in theoretical physics. Can I go for MS and Phd in Physics after engineering? I've taken some physics courses during engineering and also done a lot of self study.

2- I would like to know some best textbooks used in top universities in undergraduation Physics. What whould Physics guys suggest? I'm currently using "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday/Resnick/Krain. Is that good? Any other textbooks? Is the level of physics used in this text enough for undergrad?

Thanks-.

1. I am also a current Undergraduate EE student and contemplating on Double Majoring in for MS in Material Physics in the coming future. In fact, the only reason why I'm interested in EE is because it'll provide for me a strong foundation for getting a job and making money, from there on I'll financially be able to live well and at the same time be able to have more free time to study Physics for pure fun.

2. I have that book too haha. You should also try to find books on Quantum Mechanics and Thermodynamics and try to study those on your own pace. Depending on the research you are interested in Physics you might want to research for specific books on them too. Sense I'll be leaning more towards Materials in Semiconductor / Nano I had to obtain interest in these.

Here is what I have just to name a few. Not saying you should buy them though:

Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics, 11th Edition by Russell C. Hibbeler
Engineering Mechanics: Statics, 11th Edition by Russell C. Hibbeler
Mechanics of Materials, 7th Edition by Russell C. Hibbeler
Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction by William D., Jr. Callister

Peon666 said:
Anyways, I e-mailed Harvard deparment of Physics a few days back and they said thay DO accept applicants from Electrical Engineering for MS in Physics.

I see. A few days back. Before you posted your message. If you already had your answer, why did...oh, never mind.

There is a difference between accepting an applicant and beginning graduate study. If your background is deficient, you have to catch up.

Peon666 said:
What whould Physics guys suggest? I'm currently using "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday/Resnick/Krain. Is that good?

That's a great 2nd year undergrad college text. It will leave you woefully unprepared for graduate physics studies - it is not sufficient to prepare you for grad school. The undergrad physics texts are pretty standard across most undergrad departments (Griffiths, etc); the grad level books are pretty standard as well (Goldstein, Jackson, etc.). Seek and ye shall find.

I don't think you're really serious about this. In case I'm wrong, you should look carefully into what you can do with a masters degree in physics - if you primarily study "theory" (whatever that will mean), the answer may be "not much". If you have another angle, the answer might be different. It seems like something you'll want to be aware of ahead of time.

Actually I want to earn a Phd in theoretical physics and after that teaching and reasearch. What would you recommand for this?

As for that book, I'll try to finish it within a year (We'll do some parts of it in university as well) and after that I'd try to pay attention to each field (like mechanics, electromegnatism, quantum mechanics etc.etc.) separately. BTW, I'll also have a course on electromagnetic theory in the comming semesters.

Any further suggestions from anyone?

Hey Hippo! Nice to know we're on the same track! :)

1. What is the difference between a BS in EE and a BS in Physics?

A BS in EE (Electrical Engineering) focuses on the application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism in various systems, while a BS in Physics focuses on the fundamental principles of matter, energy, and motion. Both degrees involve math and problem-solving skills, but the emphasis and applications may vary.

2. Can I pursue an MS in Physics after earning a BS in EE?

Yes, it is possible to pursue an MS in Physics after earning a BS in EE. However, you may need to take additional courses in physics to bridge any knowledge gaps and meet the prerequisites for the MS program.

3. Is it better to have a BS in EE or Physics for an MS in Physics program?

It depends on the specific MS program and your career goals. Some programs may prefer applicants with a BS in Physics, while others may value the practical skills and applications learned in a BS in EE. It is best to research the requirements and curriculum of the MS programs you are interested in to make an informed decision.

4. What are the career opportunities for someone with an MS in Physics after a BS in EE/Physics curriculum?

With an MS in Physics, you can pursue a variety of career paths such as research and development, teaching, data analysis, engineering, and more. Your background in both EE and Physics can make you a valuable candidate in industries that require a combination of technical and scientific knowledge.

5. Are there any advantages to having both a BS in EE and a BS in Physics before pursuing an MS in Physics?

Having both degrees can provide a well-rounded education and a diverse skill set, making you more versatile in the job market. You may also have a deeper understanding of the theoretical and practical aspects of physics, which can be beneficial in advanced physics courses and research. Additionally, having multiple degrees can potentially make you a more competitive applicant for graduate programs and job opportunities.