Cheap Mechanical Device for Intermittent Motion

• Thread starter Seraph042
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a cheap mechanical device that can achieve specific intermittent or discrete motion along a shaft. The participants consider options such as a linear motor mechanism, a cam/roller setup, and a toothed gear/ratchet powered by a linear solenoid actuator. They also clarify the desired motion to be rotating the shaft 60 degrees every 30 seconds.
Seraph042
Does anyone know of a cheap mechanical device which is able to achieve specific intermittent / discrete motion along a shaft?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Seraph042 said:
Does anyone know of a cheap mechanical device which is able to achieve specific intermittent / discrete motion along a shaft?

What kind of motion? Like a crawling motion? How fast? can the shaft have threads, or does it need to be smooth?

I remember a linear motor mechanism that I read about once that could move on a smooth shaft because it had two gripper mechanisms (one at each end), and an extension capability in the middle. I forget what the application was, though.

Last edited:
I'm trying to rotate a shaft 60 degrees every 30 seconds; right now I'm looking into some sort of toothed gear / ratchet powered by a linear solenoid actuator... I'm still working on figuring out the details but it could work.

do you guys agree with that or should I be looking at something else ??

Seraph042 said:
...intermittent / discrete motion along a shaft...

... rotate a shaft 60 degrees every 30 seconds...
Which is it?

Sorry, I meant to say the latter in the original post (I can't update it for some reason)

What is a Cheap Mechanical Device for Intermittent Motion?

A Cheap Mechanical Device for Intermittent Motion is a simple and affordable machine that is designed to create intermittent motion, meaning it moves in a start-stop or on-off pattern. It is typically used in manufacturing and industrial processes to automate repetitive tasks.

How does a Cheap Mechanical Device for Intermittent Motion work?

A Cheap Mechanical Device for Intermittent Motion typically works by using a basic motor and a series of gears, cams, and switches to create the desired intermittent motion. The motor provides the power, while the gears, cams, and switches control the timing and movement of the machine.

What are the benefits of using a Cheap Mechanical Device for Intermittent Motion?

Some of the main benefits of using a Cheap Mechanical Device for Intermittent Motion include cost-effectiveness, simplicity, and reliability. These machines are often less expensive than more complex devices, easy to operate and maintain, and have a longer lifespan due to their simple design.

What industries use Cheap Mechanical Devices for Intermittent Motion?

Cheap Mechanical Devices for Intermittent Motion are commonly used in industries such as food and beverage, packaging, automotive, and pharmaceuticals. They are also popular in smaller scale applications such as home workshops and DIY projects.

Are there any limitations to using a Cheap Mechanical Device for Intermittent Motion?

While Cheap Mechanical Devices for Intermittent Motion are useful in many applications, they do have some limitations. They may not be suitable for high-speed or precise movements, and may require regular maintenance and adjustments to ensure proper functioning. Additionally, they may not be suitable for use in certain environments, such as extreme temperatures or conditions with high levels of dust or debris.